April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (jake van dyke, cpa, Kip, L. Brown, KDGJ, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 652 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,242
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've bought ammo in Ontario several times and had to show my non-resident firearms declaration. As far as shipping it to the US, I have no clue as to the legality but it would most certainly have to go UPS.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just get a Canadian P.A.L. (and register your shotgun under their long gun registry) if you're going up there on a regular basis. It makes customs a snap. With the PAL you can buy ammo or even a gun with no problem. You can also carry 200 rounds into Canada in baggage, having it shipped may be different. I just buy it up there. To bring a gun you purchase in Canada back to the US is more of a problem...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Just get a Canadian P.A.L. (and register your shotgun under their long gun registry) if you're going up there on a regular basis. It makes customs a snap. With the PAL you can buy ammo or even a gun with no problem. You can also carry 200 rounds into Canada in baggage, having it shipped may be different. I just buy it up there. To bring a gun you purchase in Canada back to the US is more of a problem...Geo

I live in Canada where quite a bit of waterfowl hunting takes place. My brother lives in Minnesota and he got his PAL and registered his guns in Canada. As mentioned, it makes it easy to bring them in, there is no wait at the border and the licence is good for 5 years. It also says in the Canadian firearms laws that an American can sell a gun to a Canadian (when in Canada) if it has been permanently registered in Canada, meaning you have a PAL. This may be an option for people trying to sell a gun to someone in Canada. Once you are in Canada, it becomes Canadian Law. So if a fellow up here on a hunting trip decides to sell his gun to someone, according to Canadian law it is legal if the person has a Pal. You do not have to go through a dealer here to sell privately. You phone down to the center and transfer over the gun, no cost.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We're wandering - The question was:

"How can a individual send a single box of centerfire ammo from Canada to the USA legally."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tudurgs
We're wandering - The question was:"How can a individual send a single box of centerfire ammo from Canada to the USA legally."

OK, well we've established you can't ship ammo through the Postal Service and that if its legal ammo, you can bring it yourself. If you're not making the trip, then UPS or another common carrier must be utilized. The box has to have the 'ORM-D' stamp indicating ammo is enclosed at least in the US. I'd suggest taking a box down to the UPS or Fed EX office and tell'em what you want to do. They'll answer your question for you. No matter what we advise you here, the common carrier will have the final say...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Importation of Small Arms Ammunition into the United States :

Importation of small ammunition into the United States is regulated by the ATF under 27CFR178.115 and 120. Authorization for importation is obtained through an approved importation permit (Form 6 Part I/ATF F 5330.3A or From 6 NIA/ATF F 5330.3D http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/5000.htm#firearms). For information on import permits contact the ATF at (202) 927-8320.

A Form 6 can be used to import small arms ammunition up to .50 caliber. Non-US citizens (Non-Immigrant Aliens [NIA] in ATF language) may import ammunition for display at shows. The application for the Form 6 NIA must be accompanied by a copy of either a valid hunting license or an invitation to attend a show or conference issued by an ATF approved organization. The annual IAA sponsored St Louis International Cartridge Show is ATF approved. If a NIA wishes to buy ammunition in the US it is advisable to have a hunting license. A Form 6 does not authorize the purchase of ammunition. There is no limit on the quantity of ammunition on an individual Form 6, but the ATF may question the application if the quantity is excessive. Quantities of 1000 to 2000 should generally be acceptable for an individual. Once issued, a Form 6 is valid for one year. The column marked "US MIL" is for the Munitions Import List category for the ammunition that is III.

The ATF has established a database to track arms and ammunition importation and the list attached to a Form 6 must be entered in this database which is time consuming. The ATF is also screening the list in much more detail (like the 7.62x25mm restriction above) and it is more likely that the permit will be returned for revision if it is not complete and meets all Federal requirements.

YOU SHOULD ALLOW A MINIMUM OF 4 MONTHS AND IDEALLY 6 MONTHS FOR FORM 6 APPROVAL.

Apparently, UPS does not accept international shipments of ammunition. FedEx will accept international shipments, but the shipper must complete the shipper declaration in compliance with International Air Transport Association (IATA) regulations. The person at the other end will have to contact a shipper who is IATA certified to handle the shipment.

Small arms ammunition is regulated by 49CFR173.56 (which can be found through http://hazmat.dot.gov) and is hazmat classification code 1.4S (UN Code 0014). 49 CFR 173.63 is available at http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/ edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/pdf/49cfr173.63.pdf

Sidelock
Sidelock

What I should have said in my posting but didn't was that it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
What I should have said in my posting but didn't was that it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Destry

I very much appreciate everyone's help. The ammo in question is 32 Rem Auto which I use in the Remington Model 8's & 81's I collect. I guess Destry is right on this deal is way way more trouble than it's worth. Tks again, Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis Check your PM

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about from the US to Africa by mail (not carrying on safari)?Steve

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.