April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (FelixD, ClapperZapper, Hoot4570, CJF, campero, 1 invisible), 1,005 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,183
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Victor Sarasqueta imported for Stoeger when they were still in New York. It's a 20 with 26" tubes chambered for 2-3/4" shells. A true sidelock H&H copy with PG and splinter. Marked Zephyr. As to fitting and workmanship I will put it up to any gun I've seen. Seems to have been made in the early 59's. Ejectors strong and put the empies a few inches apart. Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kinda like this 16 ga V. Sarasqueta, but it has a beavertail.

Last edited by 2holer; 09/17/11 05:33 PM.
J.R.B. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After reading these posts and looking at the pics I've changed my view about these guns. After hunting season I'll be taking the stock off and have it refinished with a new buttplate. I'm thinking of doing an oil finish on it rather than the varnish. The stock has an oval metal insert on the bottom for engraving the owners initials. It will have J.R.B. engraved in the oval before final assembly. While it's apart I'll clean and oil the internal mechanism. I'm going to try to do that without removing the engraved/timed screws. I have a good set of gun screwdrivers but all it takes is just one, JUST ONE, slip mad and you will hear me curse from North Dakota all the way back to Spain. Don't get me wrong, I still love my old damascus Remingtons but this gun is definately a keeper. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, just for fun, here's my Victor Sarasqueta:

This one is a Model 12E, 12ga. Very nice gun. The workmanship on this one is on par and dare I say, better than some of my English guns.

The Spanish have, can and do make guns in the "Best Gun" tradition. As most know, they can also be had for a fraction of the cost of an English Best or 1st Quality piece. True, there have been some dogs imported here, but that's due to the importers wanting everthing under the sun for pennies. Something has to give, and that was the internal parts fo the action. No one is going to buy a gun that is excellent on the inside and looks like hell on the outside. So inorder to make a profit, the Spanish makers skimped on the parts you can't see.

The day of the ultra cheap Spanish gun is over. They are still around on the used market and the price reflects the quality of the gun.

BTW, Sarriugarte didn't totally die with the end of DIARM, they came back as Kemen. Kemen is a world class maker and well known to many.

Spanish guns will always get a bad rap from many, but overall they have proved themselves to be great guns, IMO at least!

J.R.B. wher in ND are you if I may ask?

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #244383 09/17/11 06:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, you went and stole the show with that one, Greg. laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, that's simply stunning and probably shoots as well as it looks!

There was a flood of cheap 30-yearish-old Spanish guns on the market int he past few years and I bought some; saw many. My impression (very subjective) is that the real crap isn't out there much anymore - it wore out, broke and got thrown away.

A lot of the inexpensive (ca $5-600) sidelocks of this period are really pretty good although they are a tad clunky.

My mid-range V. Sarasqueta SLNE ($450) is a far better gun then my Beretta Silverhawk. It handles much better.

The guns you guys have described on this thread are real bargains, probably not to be often seen again.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks all for the kind words! Much appreciated. Excellent point Gnomon on the old cheapies being wore out, broke or tossed. Good points all the way around BTW.

Take care all!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #244389 09/17/11 07:33 PM
J.R.B. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw

J.R.B. where in ND are you if I may ask?

All the best!

Greg

I'll give you a clue where I am Greg wink --->Just look for the "World's Largest Holstein Cow". Not that I'm proud of the thing. laugh

Last edited by J.R.B.; 09/17/11 07:34 PM.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Viludia Sarasqueta U/O I suspect this maker was trying to cash in on Victors name. Its pretty, but has material and manufacturing deficiencies.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Originally Posted By: gjw

J.R.B. where in ND are you if I may ask?

All the best!

Greg

I'll give you a clue where I am Greg wink --->Just look for the "World's Largest Holstein Cow". Not that I'm proud of the thing. laugh

Hi, would her name happen to be "Sue"? If so, then your a Morton county boy. Well, so am I. I live south of Mandan.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.