March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marc Ret, SKB, Argo44, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#244029 09/14/11 10:36 PM
J.R.B. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I repaired the extractor on a Spanish double for a friend today. Just a broken screw on a link in the forearm that pushes the extractor. I've always been told that Spanish doubles aren't the best quality but this thing seems to be well made. Here is a brief description of it. Sorry I don't have a digital camera to post pics. The gun is a 12 bore box lock chambered for 3" shells. Nicely engraved. Fences have clips. It has a cross bolt through the doll's head. All screws are timed in line. Barrels and water table are full of proof marks. The breech face has three holes drilled around each firing pin hole to accomodate a spanner wrench for replacing the firing pins. __ig-Eibar-Spain is on the left barrel. The blank I left before ig is a weird letter I can't make out. It seems to be either an E or a B upper case. When I was finished with the job I couldn't resist taking it out to test fire. Locks up tight with no play, lever on center, and shoots like a dream. I'll shed a tear when I return it to my customer but a job is a job. Just to satisfy my curiosity does anybody have ideas as to who or what company made it or imported it?

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am by no means an expert on Spanish doubles, but they did get a bit of a reputation for low quality on some models in the 50s and 60s since some sellers here in the States ordered them to a low price point. But now they have some great quality boxlocks and sidelocks at thousands less than their English counterparts. I know there are some much more knowledgeable people here that could give you some more insight if you can find a camera to photograph the marks and gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As kolhoznik said, Spanish imports in the 50's and 60's were made to a price point that American importers dictated (mainly Sears) and the guns showed that. Many of the old Aya Matador's or Model 100's are nice guns however (especially the 100's) and are head and shoulder over their American contemporary rivals of the time (Fox B, 311's...etc). The Spanish do and always have made high end doubles based on the Holland action, and if you want a hand made bespoke sidelock without mortgaging your house Spain is the place to go. Shotgunworld has a Spanish forum with lots of info.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had two Spanish guns and they were both excellent quality. The Arrieta I had some troubles with but the other one an AMR was unbelievably strong for how light it was. I think AMR is still in business but have quit making finished guns and only do rough work for the bigger names now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As was mentioned,the integrity of the internals on some low priced guns was the only issue. Integrity of barrels and frame not an issue.

This will give all the info you want on the gun by the barrel flat marks.

http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones.html

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

The better Spanish sidelocks hold their own against the best English game guns. The modestly-priced AyA #2 is the best-selling SxS in Britain. There's been a recent price bump in Spanish guns but they still are great bargains.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an O/U that is marked "Laurona/Eibar." I just had the frame blacked, and the gunsmith who took it apart seemed impressed. It has double single triggers (which I can't believe aren't more popular), and he said it came apart easier than many other boxlocks. I guess the trigger assembly slid apart from the receiver as a unit. He also said the springs were captive, making assembly easier.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll put my AyA SLE up against just about anything. Are there more lavish guns available? Of course there are but I doubt if they perform any better than the AyA I own.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
J.R.B. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I checked the barrel marks and it has F.S. stamped it. According to the site that Patriot USA gave me I find at least the barrels were made by Francisco Sarriugarte. Don't ask me to pronounce that one.LOL Anyway does somebody know if this guy made the whole shotgun and if his guns were high end, low end or somewhere in between? Compared to my beloved Remington 1900 this shotgun's cocking levers are massive. I'm thinking of asking the owner if he would consider selling the piece. (Like I need another sxs double. smile ) The way it is built it can't be something that Sears and Robust or Monkey Ward imported.

Last edited by J.R.B.; 09/15/11 02:19 PM.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The water table should have the maker's name (or mark) stamped on it as well. Yes, Sarriugarte made whole guns. (pronounced: sorry-oohhh-gart-tay - more or less)

By the way, Sears imported an AyA and sold it as their "Model 100" that allegedly is a Model 21 clone.

If the gun has pistol grip, single trigger, no sling swivels and fat beavertail forend it probably was made for export to the US.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.