March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gunning Bird, 3 invisible), 346 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#240779 08/24/11 07:11 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Greetings All:
I have a Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 double that I recently bought used. I am trying to find a regulation load for it, but am not having any luck. The individual barrels group well at 100 yards, but the groups are about 8 inches apart at that distance. Changing bullet weights and powder only result in the groups changing vertically, but maintaining the same distance apart. I read that Pedersoli used 300 grain Winchester loads for regulation. I have tried 300, 325, and 350 grain bullets with varying velocities without getting the impact points closer together.
I have read that the impact points will diverge if the velocity is too low, and will cross if too high. Frankly, I am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around this theory. I can see velocity and bullet weights changing impact point vertically, but how do they go side to side?

Thanks, Texas Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Texas Bill,

The "theory" that you speak of as the distance between the left and right shots being influenced by speed has to do with the time that the bullet is still in the barrel and its ultimate direction is being influenced by recoil. In other words once the powder charge is ignited and the bullet is on its way down the barrel the gun has already started recoiling back and up. Along with the upward motion the firing of the right barrel has the gun moving to the right. When shooting the left barrel, of course, it will be moving to the left. The faster the bullet is traveling the less time it is in the barrel and thus influenced by these combined motions. Graeme Wright's book "Shooting the British Double Rifle" is to me a "must have" book for the double rifle shooter as the aforementioned and much more is explained in detail.

Regards,

Buchseman

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Bill,

All double rifles are regulated to group their bullets together at a specific range, usually at a distance under 100 yards. Assuming you are using the same load (Bullet weight and Powder Charge). Double rifles have barrels that diverge and once the bullets are past their regulated distance the left hand barrel will pattern further to the right as the range increases and the right barrel will shoot to the left. Irrespective of what the sights say.

I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer to ascertain the actual loading used and the regulated distance to get both barrels to shoot together.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 08/26/11 11:16 AM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

"
The "theory" that you speak of as the distance between the left and right shots being influenced by speed has to do with the time that the bullet is still in the barrel and its ultimate direction is being influenced by recoil. In other words once the powder charge is ignited and the bullet is on its way down the barrel the gun has already started recoiling back and up. Along with the upward motion the firing of the right barrel has the gun moving to the right. When shooting the left barrel, of course, it will be moving to the left. The faster the bullet is traveling the less time it is in the barrel and thus influenced by these combined motions."

Aew there any tests confirming this, or it is just generally accepted theory?

Last edited by Texas Bill; 08/29/11 12:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Texas Bill,

I am not sure how to post pictures and such on this forum so send me a PM and I'll reply with some results of mine from finishing up just such a project this weekend. I reduced a horizontal spread of 2 1/2" down to 1.06" by increasing speed using a combination of an increased charge and reducing the weight of the bullet. I have recently posted these results on another forum but I'd prefer to keep this discussion on Dave's DGS BBS.

Regards,

Buchseman

Sidelock
Sidelock

Texas Bill,

I replied to your PM.

Regards,

Buchseman

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Hello Bill,

All double rifles are regulated to group their bullets together at a specific range, usually at a distance under 100 yards. Assuming you are using the same load (Bullet weight and Powder Charge). Double rifles have barrels that diverge and once the bullets are past their regulated distance the left hand barrel will pattern further to the right as the range increases and the right barrel will shoot to the left. Irrespective of what the sights say.

I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer to ascertain the actual loading used and the regulated distance to get both barrels to shoot together.

Harry

Harry I'm sorry to say the quote above in bold is not true, it is a mistake most all people think is true! The reason is gun writers, and some very well known gunsmiths repeat this misinformation till almost everyone believes it to be true!

The barrels are soldered converging, so the rifle will shoot SIDE BY SIDE to infinity with the regulating load.

If you take the barrels off any double rifle and ploace the underlugs in a padded vice with the barrels suported with the sights aligned on a target at the distance engraved on the rear sight! Then place an empty cartridge in each chamber with no primer, and look through the primer holes like a peep sight, you will see the RIGHT barrel's line of sight will be pointing to a spot that LOW, and LEFT of where the sights are pointing. The LEFT barrel's line of sight will be pointing to a place that is LOW, and RIGHT of where the sights are pointing.

The reason for this is a combination of recoil muzzle flip, and the amount of flip is tied to "BARREL TIME" (the time the bullet is traveling down the bore till it exits the muzzle). If the load is the proper regulating load the bullet will exit the muzzle when that barrel is pointing to a place just on it's own side of the aiming point of the sights. If it is the LEFT barrel it will print just LEFT of the aiming point, and if it is the RIGHT barrel it will print the target just RIGHT of the aiming point of the sights. So if the rifle is regulated properly, and the load you are shooting is the proper load for that regulation the rifle will shoot paralelle no matter the range! The range engraved on the rear sight does not indicate a point where the bullets corss, which they do not, it only indicates the proper elevation for that distance.

This regulation can be badly effected by fireing the rifle resting dirrectly on the sand bags. To find the regulation you need to fire the rifle with only your hands, face and shoulder touching the rifle! You can rest your forehand on the bags but the rifle must be allowed to recoil as if shooting off hand. NEVER EVER use a leadsled to shoot a double rifle! More later because I'm sure you will have something to say about this. One thing that may be wrong with the rifle being questioned here is PEDERSOLI regulated by JIG, and that doesn't work very well! If that is the case the rifle has it's barrels hard brazed, and no smith will re-regulate it, at least one that understands double rifles, Most don't!

MacD37 >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Cape Buffalo, and Double Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

MacD37,
Sir,
I wasn't speaking of theory, for nearly two decades I was the owner of a 577 BP Express double rifle retailed by E.M Reilly and Co, London. It was my experience that both barrels shot small groups together at 70 yards, (their regulation distance). At 100 yards the right barrel was shooting to the left of the POI and the left hand barrel was shooting to the right. The shots were even more widely spaced at 150 and 200 yards. Over the years I put more rounds through that rifle than I care to think about, I still get headaches, thirty years after I sold it.

In any case these large rifle calibres were meant to be stoppers at relatively close range, not long range hunting rifles.

Harry

Boxlock
Boxlock

Harry I didn't mean to anger you, but you are simply not correct in this case! If the centers of each barrels individual groups from a double rifle is crossing at any distance then the load is not proper for the regulation of the rifle.

Like you I have been in the double rifle business for some time, quite a bit longer than you in fact.I have been hunting, and loading almost exclusively with double rifles for 53 years,since the age of 21 yrs.

I bought my first double rifle in 1958 when I was 21 years old, and have owned over fourty double rifles since that time, and loaded for every one of them except one.

You are correct in that if the rifle is crossing at any range it will diverge more and more from that point down range. However if a double rifle is crossing at any range then the load is not proper for that rifle, close but not proper.

A composite group from a properly regulated double rifle shooting a properly loaded cartridge, that composite group will be slightly egg shaped along the horizontal line thorugh the aiming point on the target. The centers of each barrels individual group will always be on it's own side of the aiming point on the target if properly loaded.

As both barrel's groups go down range they will widen just like any other barrel, so that as the two groups get larger the right shots will spill over into the left group, and the left barrel's group will spill over into the right barrel's group, but he centers of each barrels individual group will remain on it's own side of the aiming point the is in the middle of the composit group!

The missconception that the rifle is supposed to cross is the reason that people claim that the multi filp-up rear sights on a double rifle were put there for decoration only, and nothing could be farther from the truth.

If you look at those flip-ups you will see that the center line of all of them are in a perfect line. If the rifle were supposed to cross the centers of each flip-up couldn't be in line, and would be useless. They were not for decoration but work as they are supposed to if the rifle is shooting properly regulating ammo. An egg shaped composit group of 3 " at 50 yds will still cover an 8 " pattern at 100 yds on a cape buffalo's heart lung at that range, and shooting off hand most will not do better than that with a scoped rifle off hand. At 15 yards to the muzzles of the double they are dead on for stopping. Make no mistake you don't want to stand at 200 yds and let me shoot at you with the largest double rifle I own, hopeing I can't hit you with every shot!

Now none of this is to say a double rifle that is just starting to cross at 50 yds, is not usable that way, it is if you think a double rifle is supposed to do that, and you are willing to accept that type of regulation, but it is not correct regulation! In fact most factory ammo will not regulate properly in most double rifles, but is as good, or better than hand loads that cross!

I'm sure I have not convinced you of anything and that is OK, because as long as your doubles do what YOU want them to do, that is all that matters. Though disagree we may, nothing is lost, we both love double rifles and that is what counts in the long run!

.................. grin Good hunting!

MacD37 >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Cape Buffalo, and Double Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

MacD37,

Sir,
I am not angry at all old chap, it takes an awfull lot more than a minor difference of opinion get me upset. Whilst I bow to your wider experience of Double Rifles, rightly or wrongly I was just reitterating my own experience for Texas Bill.

My .577 BP Express came with the usual folding leaf sights graduated in 50 yard intervals, each with the usual Platignum inlaid centre line, to a distance of 300 yards. Given the calibre and charge I thought that anything over 150 yards was being a little optomistic on the makers behalf, or perhaps it was to try and impress the new owner.

Double rifles I think you'll agree, were designed specifically for game hunting including the most dangerous of wild animals. Now, I contend that a serious sportsman prefers to make one shot clean kills, out of respect for the animal, and I therefore submit that 300 yards, offhand shooting with a .577 is not a sporting shot by any means. You may hit the target, but can you call your shots that accurately for a one shot kill? If not, your not taking a sporting shot in my opinion. Of course more double rifles today are used for punching holes in paper just for the fun of it, than are used in the hunting field. Perhaps that's just as well for the survival of some animal species. Still there's a certain feeling of atavistic nostalgia when handling and/or shooting one of these rifles that just can't be matched by any other weapon.

One thing I would agree on though, is if the chips are down and you have a wounded and dangerous animal at close range and it is coming at you with evil intent, there's not a rifle in the world I rather have in my hands than a Big Bore British made Double.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 09/11/11 02:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.