May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (HalfaDouble, Der Ami, Jtplumb, RWG, Ken Nelson), 510 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,832
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#240880 08/25/11 10:08 AM
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi:

There I bared my soul and said it! I think that case colours are akin to bruises on a beautiful girl's face. They are not natural and hide the true beauty.

I recently purchased a Beretta Silver Pigeon in a lower grade to avoid buying a more expensive model that was cc due to my idea that cc is ugly! Did anybody ever paint a car. room or house in case colours? Any fabric in case colours? My nest Lexus will be custom painted in CC. lol

I have put my flame proof suit on and I am ready to take the heat.

Best to all,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

Plain flat bluing is to case colors what Plain-Jane floodplain black walnut is to nicely marbled English walnut.

There is a time and place for each.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonder if a lexus would look better hot dipped or rust blued. If it's someones cup-o-tea, there's a place for well done case colors. If nothing else, I'd hope the various classics don't end up with buffed polishes and mirror blues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Franchi,

I wouldn't expect you to get much heat for your opinion of case colors as liking them or not is a matter of preference. As a manufacturing sort myself I admit that I rather enjoy the looks of a gun, even the likes of a car, in it's unfinished state as it gives one the ability to appreciate the details of the manufacturing processes. Then again much of what I see as beauty in firearms are the finishes. I especially like the way a good oil finish brings out the light reflecting qualities of some grain structures in a fine piece of walnut. To me good case colors add more interest to a receiver than a bare steel or blued finish, much as I feel an opal is a far more interesting gem than a diamond. I'm a traditionalist but see your point as well. As to case colours being "akin to bruises on a beautiful girls face", the other side of the coin could be that properly applied make-up can turn an already beautiful girl (woman) into a knockout.

Regards,

Buchseman

Sidelock
Sidelock

Case color, like bluing, runs the gamut from "mudhole" to ambrosia. I can see somebody not liking it, in general, like some people think "coin finish" looks cheasy. Tastes DO vary.

My only objections to case coloring are that I think it often doesn't mix well with engraving, it is now expensive to have it done right, and re-casing a gun carries some risk.

Beyond that, it is VERY MUCH to my personal taste on guns that are traditionally case colored. (Looks like hell on a 1911 or a DA S&W or a Remington 3200, tho. I don't think much of "Damascus" steel on anything but barrels--or scimitars--either....).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on how well done and what it's on, guns that were originally CC look fine to me.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find I am very attracted to case colored guns only if they are flat sided, such as SxS shotguns, single shots and lever actions. Case colored Mauser 98's and the like do nothing for me. With a plain flat side it's all about the color, with a round action there's too much going on.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi RR:

I saw a picture of a Mauser that was CC and it was quite unattractive to my taste.

I am not convinced that CC a rifle action would be a good idea. Would it lesson the strength of the action? Perhaps a person who has a background in metallurgy could set me straight on this question.

Have a nice day,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have a background in metallurgy, but have been told by a 'smith with mech engineering background that case coloring, done properly, is only "skin deep" and doesn't alter the metal beneath it. So it shouldn't weaken any receiver or action that is colored.

Still looks lousy on bolt actions IMO.

And on other types of actions that are not traditional. I bought a case-colored G2 action from T-C's Custom Shop when they were offering them, hoping that a "traditional" finish would help make a G2 Carbine look more like a proper single shot rifle instead of the ugly hybrid it is.

It didn't. The thing still shot like a house afire and switched barrels and calibers slick as snot. And still looked BUTT UGLY. Soon traded it off for 2 more barrels for my (admittedly and frankly) ugly blued G2s.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

i agree with mike a. i don't think case hardening does anything for engraving. i much prefer a coin finish. but everybody to their opinion. reading posts this old shows how boring all this rain is. jeff

N Central PA
NRA Endowment
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.