Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good idea. I color code the primers using a permanent magic marker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
Forgot to mention in my previous post that when scouting for possible gun acquisitions, I must admit that if a particular gun piques my interest but does NOT have damascus tubes I feel a little let down. I'm likely to pass on an otherwise attractive gun, as silly as that may seem to some

I feel the same way, Krakow Kid. Damascus or twist barrels just add a certain "class" to a gun that fluid steel can never have (IMO). After all, I'm way, way past the stage of buying a do all gun. There's a special charm to reach back a century or more and join hands with the old men and to enjoy the product of their never to be repeated skills.

I am definitely in this camp as well. The sheer variety and beauty of Damascus barrels continues to amaze me, and I shoot regularly with two Damascus barrelled guns - one an 1870 Reilly 12 bore and another an 1877 Paton 8 bore. Just a shame the over/under Purdey Damascus guns are 104k each!

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rookhawk...you know Tom?!?!?

And yes...I shoot a lot of loads in damascus guns.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own and shoot a fair number of damascus barrel guns. Something over 20 at present. I have unfinished tubes and an example barrel sitting here. Of all the damascus guns that I own, there is only 1 I will not shoot. It is a Schrade with Bernard damascus barrels.

The reason is that the barrel walls 2" from the breech are much too thin. I measure them at .118". If you are going to invest in damascus guns, have them measured. If you are going to invest in a large number, purchase all the tools needed to properly measure them yourself. Purchase or reload shells to the proper pressures. Check for stuck wads between shots.

At this time, I shoot RST in all my vintage guns regardless of barrel composition.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 3 Damascus guns. One is a 3" 10 ga. Ithica 1889 Crass pigeon gun. Reload 9 K psi. shells for this and use it for waterfowl. Next is an H grade LeFever 12. ga. 28" barrells with Ejectors; reloads of 9 K psi. Last is a 1916 Greener hammer gun 12 ga. export grade that I use for ZZ birds; I shoot modern WW and Federal pigeon loads and handloads to same specs.

All have been reviewed by competant tradesman and are in excellent condition.

I love them; especially as the warnings cause folks to sell them CHEAP.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

775 - Yes I do know the gentleman of which you speak. I'm rather fond of him so I with held further incriminating him for his terrible, self inflicted damascus maiming.

One thing that people are alluding to in this thread is "color coding" and other methods of marking their loads for vintage guns.

I suggest going to one level further of extreme "shell hygiene": I do not own cartridges that are not 2.5". I found that bought in bulk, I can use B&P low pressure 2.5" shells for exactly the same price as any other case priced modern ammo and frankly, the B&Ps are better. Why chance it? I just refuse to own any modern high pressure 12 bore ammo so I know I'm never going to have an accident. (or for that matter, break a wrist on a fine gunstock due to heavy recoil)

I came to the above conclusion after shooting my modern fine Spanish sidelock using bismuth shells that were hot loads. (not reloads) After discharge, the gun took some amount of work in the field to get it to open and eject. It made me realize just how hot those loads really were. Funny thing, I didn't do any better with the hotrod loads in bismuth or steel than I did with the light 2.5" loads for dropping pheasants at 40 yards. A great pattern and a square load (no shot stringing) seems to be more valuable than the extra shot and speed that modern loads provide.

I'll keep it vintage and safe for all my guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have four damascus guns. Probably the best story relevant to this thread was the old crawford I have. I bought it for $70-$100 about 16 years ago. It is pitted, re stocked with the wrong stock, has barrel dents etc.. Its a very rough gun. It would have been a high grade gun at some time in the past. Before I knew what a 2 1/2 inch chamber or damascus barrels were, I used to use 36gm hunting loads in 2 3/4 case length. The old gun never did anything wrong. I still have it, whilst I dont use it anymore, I might have it checked out and press it back into service, it was a nice old gun to shoot.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting reading the posts on those of you who shoot damascus or twist. I have a few shotguns from the early 1900's but none are damascus. Reason being that every time I thought I might acquire one, I would read on another forum (which I won't name) that a person is crazy to shoot any damascus gun with any load. That was before I joined this forum. Now I know condition has a lot to do with any type of gun, old or new, but after reading these posts me thinks if I come across a nice damascus barreled gun, I will be adding it to the collection. And like already mentioned, many of these can be had for cheap because of the " they are dangerous and no good for anything" stories that are so prevalent.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rookhawk
I do not own cartridges that are not 2.5". I found that bought in bulk, I can use B&P low pressure 2.5" shells for exactly the same price as any other case priced modern ammo and frankly, the B&Ps are better. Why chance it? I just refuse to own any modern high pressure 12 bore ammo so I know I'm never going to have an accident. (or for that matter, break a wrist on a fine gunstock due to heavy recoil)

Rookhawk,
I didn't see any low pressure 2.5" shells at B&P's site. I saw a 2.5" 12 gauge, but it was recommended for modern guns. Where are you finding the low pressure B&P's?

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.