Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot dozens of Damascus double guns over the years and never had a single problem. One Fredrick T. Baker gun my wife gave me when I graduated college I shot for years (the only gun I owned for many of those years)before I learned it had Damascus barrels (its barrels had been blued years before I got the gun and the pattern did not show thru the later finish). Learning this gun had Damascus barrels so many years later certainly gave me a fright; but if any gun has ever been "proofed", this would be it! As FYI, I've only witnessed one barrel explosion (thank God!); and it was not pretty, as it removed a fair portion of a man's left hand. That barrel was an Armor steel 12-bore LC Smith barrel; but there was nothing wrong with the barrel itself, a fibre base wad had lodged in the left tube about 8" from the breech. Forensic examination revealed a very evident bulge where the wad had been lodged, and damage to the barrel set itself was catastrophic; the explosion produced a gaping split open about 8" long in the left tube, the auto ejector fore iron/splinter forearm was blown off the gun and the wood forearm reduced to shattered bits; and the barrels were bent approximately 6' to the right and about the same distance downwards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Genelang,
It would be helpful to read the Smokeless vs Black articles by Sherman BEll and also his articles over the last few years of
trying to destroy old damascus and twist junkers with proof loads. Never did it even with 18-20,000 PSI type proof loads.

Last edited by Stallones; 08/24/11 08:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some bp and some low pressure smokeless loads in Lefever G, FE, and a very healthy(and thick walled) Syracuse "Hollenbeck". Shot the G at Sandanona Vintagers a few yrs. back with smokeless. Never hunted with any of them.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 2, both Remingtons. One is a 1900 12 bore and the other is a 1889 10 bore. smile RST shells. smile If I want the stink, smoke, and messy cleanup from bp I'll shoot my Thompson Center 50 cal.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A fellow at our gun club had a 10 bore Belgian gun falsely labeled "manton" on it. Naturally it had damascus barrels on it of poor Belgian quality, not English best quality.

This fellow loaded his own shells with a scoop as though he was loading black powder but he used Nitro instead. He then loaded it all in a modern 3" 10 gauge shell...not the proof required 2-5/8" shell. Oh, then he loaded it full of about 1-1/2 ounce of steel shot.

Needless to say, this guy lost his thumb and part of another finger with his negligence. It is quite amazing that he didn't injure himself further.

Now the question is: who should be blamed? Sub-par Belgian Damascus barrel makers?

I wouldn't be surprised if this same shell (estimated at 26,000 psi) would have destroyed any fluid steel 10 gauge double as well.

Nonetheless, no one at the club will remember the 3 errors: steel shot, 8x powder beyond proof, wrong shell length. All the club guys remember is the harm a Damascus gun caused this fellow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I Have shot Damascus barreled guns for 25 yrs or so without any problem. I use them for both target and hunting situations. I reload mostly using the old style AA hull/1 oz shot/Rem 209 Primers/Claybuster wads. I would also ad I shoot 2 3/4 in shells 2 1/2 chambers and again no problems.

P.S

The low pressure loads preform so well I use them in the steel barreled guns also ... makes life easier. Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Out of my 1881 Damascus barreled 10 ga. I shoot 1 &5/8oz of lead at a chronograph 1290 fps....1 &5/8 oz of Bismuth at 1260 fps.

I 'd have more fear shooting a pre-1900 fluid steel gun than I do a high quality Damascus barreled gun in good shape.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I regularly shoot a Parker with a minimum wall thickness of .040 with 7/8 oz handloads. I also shoot 2 3/4 dram equi. Gun Clubs and AAs with no worries. Parker proofed both composite and fluid steel barrels in the same manner. You need to read the Sherman Bell articles and find out for yourself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I quit reloading years ago, but find the Polywad and RST 'vintager' style shells very effective in my older guns, both steel and damascus/twist. I don't shoot high pressure 'modern' loads or steel in any of my old guns. The low pressure jobs don't kick and are plenty effective on the game I shoot...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot a I.Hollis 2 1/2" chambered 12 ga., a Manton muzzleloader in 16 ga., and a Remington 1889 in 12 ga., all damascus. Used to shoot a 10 ga. L.C. Smith 0 grade damascus gun but traded it off last year. Appropriate loads in each.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.