May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (smlekid, bushveld, 1 invisible), 598 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,049
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
The chambers were lengthened to 2 3/4" as the proof load is now the same as for the 2 1/2" chamber. The gun passed and I had it back. I shot maybe 50 rounds through it; nothing heavy, then a friend I knew wanted to buy a hammer gun. I thought this ideal as it had a top lever, recent proof and long chambers. Barrel wall thickness at the site of the split was avout 22 thou... Lagopus.....

Lagopus:

Barrel walls look very thin to me, in your photo.........?.............Probably honed a few times......?......

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

No injury at all. It took someone else to point out what had happened just before he fired another shot. There was a slight chip out of the forend and the split starts just where the forend stops. The split does look straight as though along a seam but barrels are not made in that way. I wonder if there was a flaw in the steel that was the weak link for it to burst in that way but why did it not fail at the proof firing stage when a two charges at around 70% higher than normal were used? It was the Proof report that indicated the thickness at 22 thou at the point it failed. The barrels now reside in a local gunshop as a warning to check barrels for obstruction. That is the first time I have ever seen anything like that happen. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last time I was in, one of the "local" gunshops here in Maine, Wildwood, had a formerly-nice set of Parker (Vulcan) barrels similarly blown apart, also on display. And another shop had an Italian Carcano carbine that had blown open, as an advertisement against buying cheap surplus rifles.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Parker VH 12 ga. that has a 4" hole in the right barrel about 6" from the breach. The guy I bought it from said he was shooting with his daughter with a 20 ga. and did not see he still had a 20 ga. shell in his pocket when he started to shoot this Parker 12 ga.. You know what happened. A 20 in front of a 12. He did lose the top of one finger and no one else was hurt. Now I am looking for a barrel for this gun. It is very nice but the barrels. Frank

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
Here's one I had a couple of years ago. I bought it with just the right barrel one thou. out of proof. It was made by the Midland Gun Co. but had another's name on the rib. I good sturdy hammer gun, as most Midlands were

Another fine example of vintage fluid steel...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gun is off to the proof house Wednesday after I'd spoken with them...they said don't expect it back for 6 months....well let's see what they say!

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. I wonder what they'll say.

Any chance they'll discover they did something wrong?

Just wondering how objective their analysis will be...

Hope you're feeling well. Keep the great projects coming.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I doubt they will accept any blame personally.

I'm feeling good but unfit at the moment!:) Thanks for asking.

PET scan in a few weeks...fingers crossed..

T

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just got a response from Briley:

"Companions are not an option for your 20ga gun, so we will have to build the custom fitted tubes. They run $695 with 4 flush chokes of your choice. Please send us the barrels for inspection and we will let you know if this is possible 100% for sure.

Now I've asked if they want me to send it broken or welded with the bulge taken out...trying not to have to send the barrels over twice....views?

T

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I pressume she means the chokes will stick out of the end? Which isn't going to look very right is it..

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.