May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (DaveB, Jolly Bill), 508 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,560
Posts546,321
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I apologize for bringing this up again. I think you could salvage some good out of this discouraging turn of events. There have been several threads on here about minimum wall thicknesses. The wall thickness may have been the culprit. I understand the bulge had been repaired but I think we could know more if the wall thickness in the area of the split was 0.120" or 0.050". Since the split is at the end of the chamber I think that could be very informative.

The good being salvaged is of course more knowledge for the gun collectors here.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07/28/11 06:02 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm going to get a full proof house report and will share with all.

Good enough for you Mike? smile

T

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've just spoken to the proof house who said drop it in next week (I'm in Price street again anyway) and they'll get back to me with a full report in ....wait for it....6 months!!!

Jees. Now I'm faced with that and I'm not sure what I'll gain from the report other than it's buggered...or getting new barrels or lining sorted somehow.

Cheers

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mate I read this whole thread this morning I feel so bad that this happened, you had put to so much work into it. I echo others comments about you still having your fingers etc... but I hope its not too long until the little Clarke is up and working again, however you choose to do that.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Roy. But actually I'm putting it down to experience...AND it still gave me more experience with the colour case hardening process and everything else I continue to strive to perfect in my restoring.

Joe made a fair point. Don't risk buying a gun with a bulge in it...ESPECIALLY right next to the forcing cones...further up where there is less pressure is slightly less risky...but none-the-less. I still have my fingers etc...

Cheers

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's one I had a couple of years ago. I bought it with just the right barrel one thou. out of proof. It was made by the Midland Gun Co. but had another's name on the rib. I good sturdy hammer gun, as most Midlands were, so I made the purchase and had it prepared for proof and sent off. The chambers were lengthened to 2 3/4" as the proof load is now the same as for the 2 1/2" chamber. The gun passed and I had it back. I shot maybe 50 rounds through it; nothing heavy, then a friend I knew wanted to buy a hammer gun. I thought this ideal as it had a top lever, recent proof and long chambers. He fired about 40 rounds at clays on two separate occasions again using light loads and then this happened:

The Gunsmith who worked on it was a friend of mine and also one of the Guardians at the Proof House so a report was done a little quicker. Their conclusion was that it had been fired with a slight obstruction such as a piece of wadding which had weakened it with a slight bulge and then it had failed upon a later firing. I had sold the gun at the price that it stood me at and made no profit. The gun was o.k. when I sold it but I believe my friend's account of what had happened. Barrel wall thickness at the site of the split was avout 22 thou.; steel barrels and not damascus. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus:
This looks like it possibly split along a seam as there is no raggedness apparent whatsoever??
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How did your friend's hands and body come out of this?

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
I've just spoken to the proof house who said drop it in next week ... and they'll get back to me with a full report in ....wait for it....6 months!!!

Well, this will give you time to let whatever solution this gun is supposed to have, ripen and reveal itself to you.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave: Yep. smile

Lagopus...bloody hell. Was your mate OK?

T

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.