April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jimmy W, eeb), 1,158 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#237066 07/27/11 04:01 PM
Clif W. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gun ordered 1925 when new rules of proof instituted. Ordered by an American for use here in America, gun has been in America ever since, hence the 2 3/4 chambers make sense. Light gun so 7/8 oz proof makes sense but not the norm (1 oz). I'd call the gunmaker but as usual the only guy that knows anything on holiday for next 2 wks. frown

Pics removed---made my decision

Last edited by Clif W.; 07/29/11 06:40 PM.

-Clif Watkins

Sidelock
Sidelock

pretty sure its an error by proof house stamping. Burrard gives 7/8oz load for all 3 lengths at provisional proof but shows 1oz for 2&3/4 & 3" @ definitive proof. My copy of 1954 Rules of Proof show Definitive load of 157 grns TSP & 1&1/2 oz No6 Shot as the Definitive Proof Load

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm so feakin' blind nowadays that I can't read the pic details very well; but that said, I don't see the legend "not for ball" stamped anywhere; maybe some enterprising American deer hunter order his high-dollar gun chambered and proofed for 2 3/4", 7/8 ounce slug loads?

Clif W. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is it is easier on the eye

Last edited by Clif W.; 07/29/11 06:41 PM. Reason: pic removed made my decision- thanks all

-Clif Watkins

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clif:
So what's the issue? The gun was probably ordered and regulated to shoot a 7/8 oz. load of some unknown shot size. Only in the US is 7/8 oz. NOT a prevailing "normal" for a 20-bore field load. That much shot is plenty for 98% of all shooting.

Not to say the gun won't handle 1 oz... but it won't be regulated for it.

Clif W. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Clif:
So what's the issue? The gun was probably ordered and regulated to shoot a 7/8 oz. load of some unknown shot size. Only in the US is 7/8 oz. NOT a prevailing "normal" for a 20-bore field load. That much shot is plenty for 98% of all shooting.

Not to say the gun won't handle 1 oz... but it won't be regulated for it.

whether the chambers have been enlarged to 2 3/4" and then stamped that, without being reproofed........I'll be honest. I'd like to believe those are original proof marks and chamber lengths because it was a gun destined for America, hence asking for opinion.

-Clif Watkins

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil:
Perhaps the maker can provide info on that... whatever maker that is. You can also measure the chambers just before the forcing cone bevel begins. If it's around .140 thickness, it should be safe enough.

Clif W. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Gil:
Perhaps the maker can provide info on that... whatever maker that is. You can also measure the chambers just before the forcing cone bevel begins. If it's around .140 thickness, it should be safe enough.

The maker is out suntanning in the English Countryside on holiday whilst I have to make a buying decision on this piece before he gets back.

-Clif Watkins

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fraction stamps '7/8' and '3/4' were done with individual stamps for each number and the cross bars themselves.
Not a single stamp for each fraction with the entire figure on it.
Just my observation,,not really knowing what way they may have been doing them in the proof house(s)..(individual number stamps, or fraction stamps).
I would guess they have fractional stamps at hand from the ones I've looked at being nice and even and straight.
The '3/4' is really off center and crooked.

The 3 proof marks in question are the three stamped deeper than the rest of the markings on the flat.
Deeper, bolder and out of character with the rest of the finer, lighter stamped figures.

The proof stamp is multiple struck either from being bounced,,or perhaps trying to reallign after a poor hit.
A large faced single stamp struck heavily to get a good imprint will always bounce and give a double or triple imprint especially on a barrel/tube unless some sort of device is used to absorb the vibration of the strike. A lead form is often used.
Trying to reallaign a complicated figure after a light hit and restrike it almost always results in a poor mark.

I'd look very closely at the proof mark itself under a loop too. It doesn't quite look as detailed and smoothly produced as I expect.
But stamps do wear out and get replaced and/or recut over time so perhaps it's just not one of their better ones to my eye.

Just my observations of some variations in the markings themselves.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clif, Shooting 28 gram 20ga. ammo becomes tiresome & even painful rather quickly in a hot corner with anything weighing much under 7 pounds. That has been my experience, YMMV. OTOH, I can shoot the 25gram & 7/8oz. loads all day, several days running in 20 doubles weighing 6#'s w/chequered butts &/or no recoil pads and never the first hint of fatigue or a bruise.

Bagged a number of both wild & fly pen raised pheasant over dogs the last three years using 28grams of lead #5's in a 20ga., but it was using a 31 Remington backing up other hunters and for wild flushes while flanking. Shame on me! 7/8's oz. of 5's would have done just as well on many of those shots.

Agree w/Kensal. I don't see that you really have an issue w/gun being proved for 2&3/4" 7/8oz loads & expect that it was odered proved in that manner. The buyer may have even sent his own ammo over for maker to use in regulation & choke boring. Should you acquire the gun & subsequently speak w/maker that may be a question you'd wish to raise.

Kind regards, tw

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.