March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

TIG it and then put a short set of Briley 28 tubes in it??
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Baker Batavia with a cracked barrel and have fitted Briley tubes to mine in 28 gauge, What a wonderful way to restore one to shooting
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony, truly sad. It is a shame something like this happened, but as stated, everyone is safe. How it passed proof and nothing happened is a good one.

I firmly believe that a bulge is bad news, and yes they can be repaired, but who knows if the metal went back to the same area. In a dent, either from bumping it against something sharp, or however else they happen, the metal isn't streched like it is with a bulge.
I think the only way to tell if it is safe, would be an x-ray

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony, with all you have been though, this is nothing more than a small set back. You have done some great work and this will happen sooner or later. Your health is more important so relax and go on to the next project. As people have mentioned, fix the rip and put 28 ga. tubes in and you will still have a great gun. Glad nothing else happened to you. Frank

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
This is a good example of something that needs to be put away for whatever period of time may be necessary until perhaps something comes along that appears to be a decent solution. Rushing into a quick fix will be expensive.

I surely wouldn't get in any hurry about a fix. Just put the gun away for awhile, maybe show it now and then as an example of what can happen. Move on to something else and let this one just be forgotten for a while.
JR

This is great advice. I once did a complete restoration on a 12 ga. damascus gun, which included a complete barrel refinish. A week or so later I noted a "leak" of some fluid into the left bore, 7 in. from the breech. I was devastated - as in your case, weeks and weeks of my hard labor had produced a beautiful gun that I was proud of, but within days of completion it was all negated by the discovery of an unsound barrel (which measured very favorably in wall thickness, by the way). I considered all the options, and found none palatable. So, I took the advice that John gave, and just put the gun up, and waited for a solution to present itself. In the meantime, I had a friend who became pretty proficient at re-laying ribs, so after a while, we stripped the ribs off of this gun. I expected to find rust and corrosion running rampant underneath the ribs. Instead, we discovered a single pinhole with no corrosion, that had probably been there since it was manufactured. The only reason it was discovered was because of the refinishing process. To repair, we gas-welded the pinhole closed, then re-layed the ribs. I refinished them (again), and have shot the living crap out of that gun ever since. The repair cost me practically nothing except a little in materials.

You may not be quite as lucky as me, but I still think it's a great idea to wait it out until a solution presents itself. In the meantime, I like the idea of 28 ga. tubes as a temporary solution the best. Good luck!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK I like the Briley tubes idea? How do I do it and go about it? Do I send them the gun or just the barrels? I see their website and prices. $695 to do a 20 gauge to 28 guage? Does that sound right? I presume I need to get it re-proofed over here afterwards.

If anyone could advise that would be wonderful. Many thanks for all of the comments. Clearly being safe after this is the most important thing.

Cheers
T

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK I'm getting a bit excited. I might be able to convert this gun? I'm glad I've seen this before I pop off to my barrel man. This page here? http://www.briley.com/companiondrop-intubesets.aspx is this what we are talking about. Do we think it simple enough for me to put these in myself. Do the 28 guage tubes just slide into my 20 bore Clarke as shown in the video on the Briley site?

Cheers
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Luckily nobody was hurt, could have been terrible. Looks like it will be a wall hanger Tony, a very pretty one at that!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re the rebarrelling or tube sets or whatever path to follow going forward, the advice to put it up and move to another project for a while is quite sound advice. You have the gun and not rushing into anything in particular but letting the solution unfold will turn out for the best. Take the time to work on another project while researching how to fix the problem.

I've never had dealings with Briley, but I'll suspect they (or any dealer in tubesets or such) will decline to put their hands on any set of barrels with a(n unrepaired) hole in them.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Waiting a bit may be good advise

But you can do research

The companion tubes will work just fine on standard chambered guns.

What are the chamber lengths on the Clarke?

You may have to open up the chokes to get the tubes to slide in snugly

If you want to do more research on things look up

carrier barrels for tube sets

This would kind of be what you would be doing.

The tubes sets hold all the pressure.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=39284&page=1

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 07/28/11 09:28 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.