March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Will get it measured tomorrow. Its about just where the forcing cone is in the breech.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very sad to be sure Tony,but I'm so very glad you and the lad came away unscathed ...to be quite honest I think after a bit you'll see this as another challenge wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems to me that a feller ought to regard any sign of dents or bulges within 12" of the breech as a deal killer. In front of that pressures have dropped so much that it is not that much of an issue. Bulges though, for me in any part of the barrel are deal killers.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
Will get it measured tomorrow. Its about just where the forcing cone is in the breech.

T

Thanks!

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a shame but as others have said, it could have been much worse.

I like the idea of sleeving for 28ga. Seems like it would be a beautiful little 28. I wonder if you could have your microwelder weld up the crack, dress it and then sleeve it??

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"And my BIG question still is...HOW DID this gun pass a full Birmingham proof test 2 months ago?!"

I am certainly no expert on proofing and I'm sort of repeating what I stated earlier in this thread. From my understanding proofing is nothing more that a snapshot in time and verification that a set of barrels at that time withstood a proscribed overload.
This to me tells you exactly NOTHING about their performance in the future particularly when it involves a decades old firearm.
Also keep in mind that any real understanding of metallurgy is a relative recent phenomon and it's doubtful that anyone knows the actual metellugerical makeup of your guns barrels.
Again; and this is of course my opinion; shooting older guns is a crapshoot. You are running a risk albiet a minimal risk if you follow the generally accepted procedures when using classic guns but you must be willing to accept the consequences when something like this occurs.
I think I can say we are all thankful you wern't hurt.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony you ever saw a table lamp made from a hammer gun ?....It would make a nice looking one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Quote:

Again; and this is of course my opinion; shooting older guns is a crapshoot. You are running a risk albiet a minimal risk if you follow the generally accepted procedures when using classic guns but you must be willing to accept the consequences when something like this occurs.

Especially older fluid steel barreled guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a good example of something that needs to be put away for whatever period of time may be necessary until perhaps something comes along that appears to be a decent solution. Rushing into a quick fix will be expensive.

I surely wouldn't get in any hurry about a fix. Just put the gun away for awhile, maybe show it now and then as an example of what can happen. Move on to something else and let this one just be forgotten for a while.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Tony,
It's far enough forward for sleeving. All you need to sleeve is a good few inches from the breach.

As to how it happened to pass proof, it was marginally strong enough and the proof load imparted what was likely the fatal stress spike but it didn't show. Fatigue failures are not visually detectable nor are they detectable by common magnaflux, dye penetrant, or ultrasonic inspection methods.

Chuck,

I believe you would be more familiar with fatigue failures than most of us.

Pete

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.