May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (cpa, Jtplumb, 3 invisible), 149 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,082
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash

$2,499 shipped insured saves this vintage double from the choke reamer.

A variation on this magazine cover theme, except no dogs will be harmed. Fear the grim reamer.

My thoughts exactly!

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I've made an appointment with one of the finer gunsmiths on the west coast to have the chokes opened to .013/.007.

Very unfortunate. Ruins the gun for many of us, and narrows your market even further.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might as well bob the barrels off...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement

Very unfortunate. Ruins the gun for many of us, and narrows your market even further.

Any of the "...many of you..." are welcome to step in if you feel that this gun is for you and needs to remain in "Rifle tight" constriction.
I've tried to do the responsible, vintage doubles conservator thing but to no avail. It might just be the Universe telling me Light Mod./Improved Skeet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob, I do not have nor do I expect a vote. I have an opinion, and I have stated it. I don't like guns with open chokes because they don't work well for my type of hunting. I wouldn't open up a perfectly good field gun just to improve my skeet scores or to kill more planted quail. When I hunt wild quail in CA and AZ, tight chokes are the ticket. Opening the chokes does narrow your potential buyer pool, because you can never put the metal back into those muzzles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe the Universe was whispering Improved Mod/Improved Skeet (.017/.007) and I simply misheard it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No one should ever open a classic shotgun choke. For one you are only the "temporary" owner and you'll ruin the shotgun for the next buyer. If you can't change the shot pattern with spreader loads or Polywad double-wides or just let the bird go out further, like I do, buy another shotgun with the chokes you desire. If you're still not happy, buy a shotgun with screw in chokes and leave the remaining few untouched classics alone!

Sidelock
Sidelock

He's enjoying the attention too much.

Time to leave him and his soon-to-be wrecked Sterly alone.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Model2128Ga
No one should ever open a classic shotgun choke. ... you'll ruin the shotgun for the next buyer. ... leave the remaining few untouched classics alone!

Didn't most of the "Vintage Classics" that were not built for custom orders leave the factory choked impossibly tight and tighter with the understanding that the guns' new owner would choke the gun as he determined necessary for its' intended use? Were custom ordered guns with custom specified chokes of less than Full and Full "ruined" at the factory?

$2499 shipped insured and you can be the new guardian of this fine Fox.
Put it in your gun museum and charge the folks $1.25 to see the last "Vintage Classic" with original chokes, er you think??

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's not get testy about shotgun chokes. It's Bob's gun and he can do whatever he wants with it, right or wrong. For me, it's not so much a matter of originality as it is functionality. I don't buy or shoot guns with open chokes, and way too many of the older guns seem to have been opened or shortened by guys who decided to do that to their guns. Problem is, there are getting to be fewer and fewer old doubles, especially small bores, with the tight chokes that God intended them to have. Fortunately, I have a few small bore Parkers with tight chokes, and my one Sterly is Full and Fuller, so I don't need Bob's gun. Otherwise I'd be seriously tempted, because it is a nice example and still (for now) has proper chokes.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.