May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (old colonel, bbman3, Ian Forrester, HMAK, Replacement, 1 invisible), 485 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,432
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dubbletrubble
The fumes are pretty bad, so make sure you have good ventilation.

Thanks, I will either do it outside or use a fan or both.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shawn
If you are looking to duplicate charcoal bluing colors then you will need to heat your salts more than 625F. If you are trying to get some form of temper color like fire blue then 625F will work just fine. To get charcoal blue color (blue-black) I have found that 730-750F works for most steels. On some modern steel parts I have had to increase the temp. It takes about 15 minutes to get the correct color. The parts need to be recently polished, degreased,and dried. When the parts first go in I gently agitate them until all of the bubbles are off the parts. When the desired color is reached I take the parts out, let them cool, rinse in water, and soak in oil. On some steels (like 2nd generation SAA cylinders) the parts need to be submerged several times.

I first learned to nitre blue from Oscar. He heated his salts to over 900F. I used to do this but found that the same charcoal blue color developes on most steels at a lower temperature. I have mixed my own salts from salt peter and used Brownells. Both salts give the same results. Oscar was concerned that Brownells salts could not be heated to the correct temperature without breaking down. I have heated Brownells salts to 900F with no problems.

Some steels are more difficult to blue. With a little practice you can duplicate the charcoal blue color found on pre-war II guns. I have blue about 15 Colt, 6 Winchester actions, 3 Marlin actions, and over 25 shotgun trigger guards using this method. I have compared the blue color obtained this way with original Colts in high condition. The colors are identical. I hope this helps.

I REALLY try to stay out of these topics but Shawn is the only one that has the correct process. In my experience 625 degrees will not get you to the next color phase or the correct color for niter blue. If you want those pretty temper blues go for it, if you want blue black then use Shawn's temps. I run my salts @ 800 degrees FWIW.

I also learned the process from Oscar. He showed me how the color process advanced into a secondary or final color. Apparently you need enough heat to get there.

I use pharmacy grade KNO3 plus a VERY small amount of Manganese Dioxide as an additional oxidizer. I really don't believe that the Manganese Dioxide is needed but I use it anyway because I have it. Probably the tree stump stuff will work just fine but I have no idea if there are any additional chemicals in the mix.

I've heard people say that niter blue is very thin and not very durable. That may be because they didn't have the thick oxide coat that comes with the second phase of blue. I can tell you that I left a trigger guard in to long and the niter blue actually started to flake off like you mave have seen on some Winchester frames.

Anyway I'm posting a picture of a parker trigger guard that i believe is the right color. It may look lighter in color because of the outside light but it is quite dark.

Last edited by Doug Mann; 07/19/11 12:02 PM.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Anyway I'm posting a picture of a parker trigger guard that I believe is the right color"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very nice Doug, but I think that is a 16 ga. Sterlingworth trigger guard and not a Parker.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
"anyway i am posting a picture of a parker trigger guard that i think is the right color"

Very nice Doug, but I think that is a 16 ga. Sterlingworth trigger guard and not a Parker.......

You are correct, that's what I get for not paying attention. In fact I remember who's trigger guard it is now. blush However it's the results I'm trying to show

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Robert, thanks for the link. I will try a place near me for one. I bookmarked yours and will get it if the other one is not high enough.
I do have a face shield and welding gloves, and actually weldng jacket for protection, and will keep the oil far enough away as to be safe.

Thanks, and will post some pictures when I start.

David.......If you look around you can find a very good stainless thermometer made in the U.S.A that will last a long time, they are on Ebay used, at Midway new and so forth....... Just my opinion......

Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug, before I retired I worked in a gererating station that supplied electricity to parts of N.J. Our plant was one of two coal fired and the technicians used Tel Tru gages. In our nuclear stations they also used them, so they must be of good quality. I will look for one that goes to 1000 deg.

Last edited by JDW; 07/19/11 07:22 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Got mine from Brownells with a dandy mounting-clip for the tank side.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I finally learned how to post photos. Now I just need to learn to take better pictures. These are some of the guns that I nitre blued using the temperatures I described. I also color case hardened the actions using the temperatures that I posted under Ed. Lander's torched gun post. The reflected light on the Marlin makes the blue look more blue than it is. It is actually a blue-black color. The small parts on the SAAs were temper blued using the same nitre salts but at a lower temperature. The Bisley was a real mess when I bought it. It was nickle plated and someone had gotten carried away with a buffer and rounded the corners and removed parts of the barrel address and rampant Colt. Surprisingliy the bore was in good condition. I recut the missing portions of the barrel address and rampant colt, fitted a new base pin and bushing, and replace the hand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the Marlin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice Shawn...great work,..... The Marlin 1894 bolt was much blacker I believe, probably the light as you mentioned.....

Here are a few that I rebuilt. I try and keep the blues a softer blue/black as did the factories, remembering that these guns were mass produced firearms.

The Remington .22 pictured was trashed and needed a complete refinish. Rust blued the barrel/mag tube and hot blued the action. 1911 manufactured Remington model 12 with a full crescent butt plate.

The LC with a case colored forend iron is an ejector 12 bore. 1926.

The last LC Smith is a 16 ga. field grade. Extractor. 1931

1892 Marlin .32 CF...following post.

Here are some pics, CCH temps close to yours as you posted, except the drop before quench, I don't drop the temperature..... Rust blue and wood re-finish as well.

12 ga.

16 ga.

16 ga.

Best,

Doug

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.