Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim:

Yes, that is very true........actually 'any' restored gun is a loser financially if the owner pays to have the work done.....absolutely no gain there..........usually a loss.....it must be an investment of desire.....Clapper Zapper once said it very well...."spent x amount on this gun to re-case the colors just because I could".......or something along those lines..........

Guns are not good investment items like houses, vintage cars or aircraft. ...IMO.......obviously a few are, some handguns and some 1800's collector pieces.....but the majority of firearms are not increasing in any large proportions....example.......a nice gun worth $800.00 in 1980, sells for $2000.00 in 2010.....that's $1200.00 in 30 years.....do the math, to me that is a very poor investment...?....If you find an old Gatling gun in a barn, or a Henry in the factory box inside a wall, well maybe........?.........

I believe we 'play' with guns because we like them and we love shooting and hunting....one or both.....JMO.........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

My views, are my own views. I try to state them clearly, and, well, sometimes people disagree with them.

I was told this nugget 40 years ago, and it's seems to still be true today. "This game takes money to play. You have to take your lumps. If you avoid playing to avoid the lumps, you'll never learn how to play ."

Old things that pique your interest are like that. You learn twice as fast when you are taking your beatings.

We need to remember that old field guns were made in the tens of thousands for the most part. There are a few out there for each of us fool with. They will never be worth piles of money. But in the learning, there is a priceless education. And, if you are doing it right, a fair share of lumps to be had.

Again, just my opinion on restoration, and how far should we go. I doubt anyone here spritz's vinegar on freshly blackened barrels (with a toothbrush) to patinate them back toward a more honest look. Recut checkering that is as rough as a cob, or cut halfway through the grip bugs me to no end as well.
There are tons of things to learn in this hobby. That is part of it's appeal. And, it mixes iron and wood.

Of all the things within the restoration field that are hard for me, the hardest, is looking at someones hard work, and not liking it. I wish I could, I try to be polite, I keep my mouth shut , but I am always saddened when someone has worked very hard on something, and I think it looks like crap. That's hard for me. I haven't driven "Old Blue" (my Dad's 900c IH)since his funeral. I think I should fix the slave cylinder, and get her some air. Dad's restoring of it wasn't very restorative.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug,

I wish I had the talent to make my guns look like the ones you've done. Very nice.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug:
We're on the same wavelength although I can show that my firearms/militaria investments have certainly outperformed my IRAs. As a matter of fact I'd be way ahead if I'd just bought and put away nice Lugers for example over the years.
As a car buff as well as a firearms buff I have been surprised at just how well classic and muscle cars have held up through the difficult financial times we are currently experiencing.
The Corvette I posted above isn't old enough to have gone up in value but it's no longer depreciating either. There's not very many vehicles you can own and drive regularly that aren't going down in value every day. Additionally my insurance company treats it as an antique so my annual premium is $165 and the State no longer requires smog testing. Not all bad for a car that still looks good and gets 25MPG as long as I keep my foot off the floor.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Phil...Thank you for your comments....

Jim....hindsight is always 20-20........we should have bought lot's of doubles and Lugers 40 or 50 years ago....cheap.......and a whole bunch of other stuff I can think of....!......Instead of chasing girls.....!....

CZapper....fix that IH...run her...!...

Doug

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hello PA24,
I have been following this thread and would like to know your preferred stock finish. I have a pretty decent Sterlingworth made in the late 30's by Savage Arms and want to add a period correct pad to bring back the length of pull. I believe the gun was made with a short pull at 13 1/4". I would refinish the stock and possibly refresh the checkering.

What do you use?
Best Regards,
Harry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Harry:
I use Gun Sav'R Hunter Satin from Brownells....part number 641-20...manufactured by Chem-Pak Inc., Martinsburg, WV 25401....

After application and 48 hour curing, I hand polish with Carnuba wax to the desired gloss or satin finish depending on the gun and customer requirements.

All the stocks are first, of course, soaked in an air tight acetone bath and then an air tight lacquer thinner bath...for over 48 hours combined....repaired as necessary, steel pinned, epoxied at the head etc., then stained the appropriate factory color. Lot's of steel wooling, detailing etc., then the final finish of Hunter Satin is applied.

If you want to be completely period correct for "field" grade guns, use varnish and hand polish to the desired finish. Varnish will however, yellow in time and is vulnerable to gun cleaners etc....Hunter Satin looks like varnish if it is applied properly but is much more durable. Comes with instructions in a liquid or spray. You can fill all the grain or leave some open as was original, your choice by the number of coats you apply.

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi folks, very interesting read this. From my own perspective what I try and do when I decide to try and restore a gun is research as much as possible through photos, web research and my books what a particular gun maker/vendor did to their guns and then I try and restore to the best of my ability to same.

If that is possible then to me that is the perfect restoration. Now of course I have a lot to learn and will continue to do so but that is my definition of a restoration. True to the original vendors delivery description if at all possible!

Regards,
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think a gun in good mechanical condition but poor cosmetic condition can benefit the most from a total restoration...if done by someone competent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I think a gun in good mechanical condition but poor cosmetic condition can benefit the most from a total restoration...if done by someone competent.

Interesting thought: This is about 180 degrees out of sync with current thinking in much of the car collecting hobby. I don't know of anyone that depreciates a vintage car because the engine or transmission were rebuilt. However; a repaint or re-upholstery job will have a definite effect on value.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.