May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (jake van dyke, CJF, playing hooky, 2 invisible), 963 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,532
Posts545,946
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Thanks for the clarification, Phil. But, I still can't understand why you, and many others, consider this a problem. Absolutely, low gun is harder to master than pre-mount, I totally agree. But, what is the problem with that? Why do some think they need to dictate the skill level that they think others need? And, since we agree that low-gun is much harder to master, why would ALLOWING that attract trap and skeet shooters?

Again, why does the fact that serious competitors shoot pre-mount Sporting scare new shooters away? I haven't seen that to be the case in my 9-10 years of competition. New shooters almost universally adopt pre-mount once they try it (on their own, nobody telling them to) because it is sooooo much easier.

It just seems to me that low-gun advocates that are "anti premount" have a holier than thou attitude about it, and want the whole world to conform to their idea of what is best, and right. Not saying that is you, Phil, but there certainly is that type around, and they are very vocal.

SRH

Stan,

Allowing pre-mount "aka any mount" in classes h-c would attract skeet and trap shooters and allow new shooters an easier entry to the sport. Requiring low gun in b-m insures that good gun skills are a component in advancement.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phil,

Any mount is ALREADY in place for classes h-c. Nobody has ever told new shooters they had to pre-mount. In fact, there are some NSCA accredited instructors who teach their students to shoot low gun.

So, all that's left is, how would making classes B through M shoot low gun attract new shooters?

I just can't understand what your point is.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the local clubs where I shoot Clays, probably 90%+ of the shooters are "hunters" (and/or Good Ole' Boys) rather than formal SC competitors. We/They shoot for fun, comraderie,and to sharpen hunting skills. Sometime we shoot to see who will buy dinner.

Most use pre-mount on sporting clays. If one hunts ducks, doves, or upland birds over pointing dogs, a pre-mount is the most common shot taken. I don't think most shooters care what the official rules mandate -- they are at the range to do it their way.

Most of the local ranges would go bankrupt if they depended upon the "match shooters."

JERRY

Last edited by jerry66stl; 06/16/11 07:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My club is about that percentage, too, Jerry.

Strange that you feel most people premount when bird hunting. I don't, even though I do when competing. 'Course, my average on doves isn't as high as my Sporting average, either. A premount on doves flares the dove away from you, IMO. Better to wait until said dove is committed to a path too close to you for him to veer away before you make a quick move, mount and shoot when the gun hits your shoulder. Just what works for me.

Agreed, most clubs couldn't make it without hunters and casual clay shooters. However, at our club, for every round of Sporting shot by any casual individual the serious competitors prolly shoot 5 rounds. So, OTOH, our club's business would suffer without the competition boys as well.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry - I can see where people could premount for doves & ducks (not sure successfully) but upland hunters... I guide at a private club in MO & see new shooters on occasion walk up behind my dogs with premounted guns. We stop action right there as it would be easy to step in a hole & shoot nothing but my dogs or another hunter. Most of them adjust to unmounted gun & have some success before the hunt is over. On their next trip they are prepared & have much greater success.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeh one hasn't seen that premounted upland hunting either but one can't be expected to know everything that goes on. That would change walkup to f---up pretty quickly, one would think.

jack

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I see that pre-mount at a bird farm I hunt. It's always one or two of the same guys. It's especially prevalent when they shoot over a pointing dog. They look like some kind of combat commando dorks walking up with their guns mounted, fingers on the triggers too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
They look like some kind of combat commando dorks walking up with their guns mounted, fingers on the triggers too.

ROFLMAO laugh In email jargon that's rolling on floor laughing my a$$ off.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.