March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Borderbill, Marc Ret, Tim in PA, 1 invisible), 779 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some sources give the * accompanying the Nitro mark was used from 1952 to 1957 but most of the post 1957 CZ doubles show otherwise. Also it may be that the Brno facility was open as early as 1952 and possibly earlier. Folklore had it that it was supposed to have be transitioned to post WWII but I think it was a bit later. As of 2010 a figure of 160k arms per year were proofed at the Czech facility and I think that to include both Brno and Prague. But Gustav Tichy would have imported his wares thru the Prague proof facility. Hopefully in the very near future, maybe even today, indepth conversations with Gustav Tichy's heirs will shed some light on this maker, one of many craftsmen/firearms merchants who remains clouded in a vale of obscurity. For now and for me the sourcing lines are of the utmost interest but we may never know the whole truth. Would be nice if someone penned an article on all the conjecture surrounding the marks so that one could begin to attach a probability to the statement and source, huh??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ingrid was kind enough to snap another image and it appears that the Prague proofhouse value is 1306g. So the difference would be 9 grams or about 1/3 oz. Another note is that the Belgians used units of Kg while the Austro-Hungarian folks used grams.

Also the mark just forward on the flats looks to be a "2/0" or something close. The tubeset knitter may have had the initials "AL"??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

I was very pleased finding this thread and learning that there was so much interest about my Grandpa Gustav Tichy and his business. I am Georges, born in Saint-Raphael, France, in August 16th 1950.
I am visiting my brother Alexander. His daughter Ingrid lives close here, and she now owes a Gustav Tichy gun, which I had the privilege of holding for the first time. Very emotional.

Last edited by GTichy; 06/06/11 10:17 AM.

Georges Alexandre Tichy
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Georges holding a Gustav Tichy offering, now owned by Ingrid, along with his older brother Alexander

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

More Tichy images:

Gustav Tichy, Alexander & Alex?

Gustav Tichy's shop was at Trida Ceskoslovenskych(čs.) Leggii 148/14, Moravsk aOstrava, Czechoslovakia(Thanks Jani)( Avenue of the Czechoslovak Legion Nr. 14. ) when the example Ingrid owns was retailed.
Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi guys, I'm from Czech republic and few years ago I got rifle which I didn't know who made it. After some reasearch I found Gustav Tichy to be the gunmaker. What was really bothering me was the lack of information you can get online about this gunmaker. So I decided to write an article about him and bring his legacy back. I have some info from archives in Ostrava and I talked to man whose father was friend with workers in Gustav Tichy factory. I exchanged also couple of emails with George Tichy who commented above. I would love to get in touch with Ingrid Tichy so if you have contact please tell her. I'm open to discussion and to share what I know, but I don't want to make it public before the article is published. So please contact me via email dagfunny2@gmail.com.

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll see if I can raise her. I have a loose connection to her as I believe she moved from Washington State to the Penal Colony of Georgia.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ingrid is well & has departed the Penal Colony of Georgia for greener pastures in Alaska? She is currently in DC & will contact you upon her arrival home.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Awesome. She sent me an email and I replied her already. We will wait till she gets back so we can discuss what we know about Gustav Tichy. Once I have everything in one place I will post it in this thread for everyone who is interested. And thank you very much for help it is very appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know I'm interested.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.