May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, LRF, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, CJF, 1 invisible), 732 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,061
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dogfox Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found a scarce setup Parker that was hot blued, barrels and receiver. Steel barrel. Ribs seem tight and the barrels ring. Does any one here have personal experience with how hot blued barrels held up on a Parker or other double gun you owned? Did the ribs come loose after shooting for a while? Looking for personal experience, please no theory or opinions.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have repaired a lot of them, they always pop free given enough time. Figure the cost of re-laying the ribs into the price you offer on the gun.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Fox Sterlingworth that had the barrels hot blued about 2 years ago.It has had a fair amount of use since then.That is not to say I they won't have problems later down the line.The guy who blued them said he has never had any problems with hot blueing doubles, something about removing them from the hot bath and not leaving them in to long I don't know all I know is they turned out great with no problems yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since Parkers and other high end guns were silver soldered, they usually hold up through the hot bluing process. Usually the bigger issue is the solution that gets between the tubes. It can continue to rust the metal from the inside out and cause problems down the road.

B.Dudley
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Parkers and most high end guns are soft soldered(lead/tin) not silver soldered. The tin is compromised by the blueing salts. Slow rust blue is the correct finish fo5r a Parker, nothing else.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know of any American doubles that had silver soldered barrels. Parkers, LC Smiths, Fox, and Ithaca, were definitely tin/lead soldered.

The only guns I've, personally, run across that were "silver soldered" were less expensive Spanish guns. I had a set of a Spanish gun's barrels, that were silver brazed, hot blued.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I note that Brownell's always advertized their Force 44 lead free soft solder (primarily tin) as being safe in a hot blue tank. having used force 44 solder & also having done hot bluong in the past I found this to be true.

I was always of the opinion the alkaline componenet (LYE) of the hot blues attacked the lead component of ordinary soft solders. Lead is Acid resistant, but apparently not Alkaline resistant.

If anyone cares to experiment on this simply "Very Carefully" mix up a solution of water & Merry War Lye & drop in a chunk of lead & one of tin & observe the results.

PS; Even back in muzzle-loader days most Belgian double shotguns were brazed including the ribs. Many English ML'rs were totally soft soldered including the breech jointing.

Last edited by 2-piper; 05/03/11 11:02 AM. Reason: added info

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some hang together longer than others, but they all seem to separate sooner or later. Not in a manner usually thought of in that the rib(s) fall free from the tubes but they do develope loose/gaps along the seams and eventually there's more loose area than soldered area.

Another problem is that the hot blueing salts gets inbetween the ribs just like the hot water does in rust blueing.
Hot water is easy to steam/evaporate out but the salt soln. is difficult to rinse out through a tiny weep hole.
The salts can corrode in there and grow a white 'bloom' as they absorb H2O from the air.
Oil won't kill their activity.

IIRC one of the last batches of Ithaca NID BBls were hot blued by the factory and found to be unsuitable. The bbls were scrapped leaving a number of finished small bore NID stocked actions w/ forends around for many years.

One 'trick' used by some gunsmiths was to use a small amt. of potassium cyanide in the hot salt blueing tank while doing soft soldered bbl sets. Supposedly it protected the soft solder/lead component from the attack of the blueing salt compound during the process. Wether it worked or just delayed it, I don't know.

I just view hot salt blued bbl sets (soft soldered) as haveing to be redone at some point.

I've seen Spanish and Belgian guns with silver soldered tubes. There are undoubtedly others, but never a Parker, Fox, LCS, Ithaca, etc with anything other than soft soldered ribs.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

did american companies use tin /lead or just tin? i had thought English guns used tin. was lead added because it is cheep.the expansion and contraction of tin is similar mild steel.hot blued sxs will come apart at the ribs.i think someone at Trinidad did a force 44 test and it didn't hold up. mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
The LCs and Parker barrels I had apart were lead/tin. I don't believe the purpose of adding lead was for economy, but rather for its eutectic result. The alloy of lead/tin at
Click to reveal..
37/63
38/62% respectively, is a lower melting temp than either metal separately.

Last edited by Chuck H; 05/03/11 12:13 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.