March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, SKB, greener4me, L. Brown), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyoneknow of, or can reccommend, a book that deals with percussion rifles with Two Groove rifling and belted roundball or conical projectiles? Even if the book is not completely dedicated to this subject, but has good information regarding such would be appreciated. Many Thanks - Marc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd like to add a further question to Marc's posting: Does anyone know of a maker for molds for these rifles?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Dallas book, Magnificent Madness, has a bit on the belted ball.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Terry - I might very well need to know the answer to that one as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The early writers Forsyth, Walsh and Greener all deal with the subject to some degree. I know of no recent writing on the subject. I am without my Library here, but as far as I remember, the system began with the Brunswick military rifle. This was used by many through the 1850's The idea was refined in 1852 by James Purdey into the "express train" using a small bore conical bullet propelled by a large powder charge.[4 drams in a .45 cal]. This basic theme was copied by many makers who also made large bore 2 grooves for dangerous game. The ultimate evolution of the 2 groove is the Lancaster "oval bore" produced until the 1930's.

All the best, Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh yeah, It is not too hard to make a belted ball from a regular round ball mold if one has a milling machine, or even a lathe, a grinder and some patience.

Good luck! Mal

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yup, you're spopt on with your information, Mal. It indeed had a military beginning with the Baker and Brunswick rifles. Greener talks a little about it, claiming it was his invention all along. Unsworth devotes a few pages of top-notch information in his book THE EARLY PURDEYS.

Here's another, related question: Besides the belted balls, there were also "winged" bullets, conicals meant to do the same thing only better. If one were to give a mould maker a smaple of one of these (or any other projectile), could he make a mould from that? Kind of an inverse property type of thing(?)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marc, Ned H. Robertss book "The muzzle loading caplock rifle" has great information concerning this and other things. A real good book. You can get a copy at the Track of the Wolf web-site.
Here is the link,

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories...tNum=BOOK-MLCLR

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

treblig - I actually have that book. Heven't looked at it in at least 10 years. I'll have to go and crack it open again. THANKS!

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Terry Buffum
I'd like to add a further question to Marc's posting: Does anyone know of a maker for molds for these rifles?

Jeff Tanner makes belted ball moulds at quite reasonable prices, and he may know of a maker of conical ones.

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

Regards,
Joel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.