April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, eeb, buckstix, PALUNC, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 967 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

...the $6000 BLNE. It could happen to you.

About 12 years ago I stopped by my friend Zeke's cracker barrel, The Cross River Sportsman's Shop in Cross River, NY, tight on the side of the Cross River Reservoir, one of the feeders of the water to NYC. Zeke ran a small bait and tackle operation to pay the bills but there was also an interesting amount of guns that came through that small store. Zeke held an FFL and had great taste in firearms, not necessarily the the most expensive guns but certainly an interesting gun piqued his interest. That day I came in we were passing the time for about an hour before he pulled out a gun that an elderly lady from the area had brought in to see if she could turn it into some cash. In the previous weeks Zeke had been telling me he had been thinking of getting his damascus barreled Westley Richards reproofed for nitro loads, more to increase it's value than anything else. I didn't know much about the process at the time, I knew about damascus but the idea of having the gun sent back to England to get reproofed got my interest. That's when Zeke pulled out this 12ga James B. Warrilow and pointed out to me that the bores were good, the gun was tight on face, the chambers were still 2-1/2 and the chokes would make it a nice game gun. It would set me back $100, it would be mine. I could send it for reproof to WR in Missouri, along with his gun. He told me the cost of reproof through WR would be about $400, I could always worry about restocking later. I laid down my Benjamin and it was mine.

This is the only picture I have of the gun when I got it, it's just the stock.

So, off they both went to WR and the wait began. Except for me. My gun came back within 3 weeks from WR, turns out they felt the top rib was loose and the gun would have to be made right before they would send it to England for reproof. Hmmm.

I started doing some research about getting the rib relayed and mostly with the help of this BBS I decided to send the barrels to a well known West Coast Barrel Man. I told him that the gun was going to be submitted for reproof and I needed the barrels made right. I needed the rib relayed and would he please leave the barrels in the white. No sense paying to have them rebrowned if there was a possibility of them blowing up. If they passed I would send them back to him for browning. I did know enough to ask if he used acid flux and was told "no" so off they went.

They came back a few months later, they looked good, rang true and were in the white.

To the best of my knowledge the gun was made well before 1898 and was considered an antique. Back then in the late 1990's there was no problem shipping antiques to England so I called the Birmingham Proof House and asked if it was possible for me to ship the gun direct to them. "Of course my good fellow, ship it direct to us, we'll reproof it for a charge of 50" , about $75 at the time.
Hey, $40 to ship it there, $75 to reproof and another $40 back? Much better than $400, let's do this! I documented the gun so when it came back through customs there would be no problem.

About 4 months later I haven't heard back so I call. Yes they received my gun but were very backed up and would be getting to it this week. The preliminary inspection had been done and the gun had passed. In fact, they told me, "the gun would probably pass for 2-3/4".

"No, let's keep it at 2-1/2 thank you. "

2 weeks later I called back and yes, it had passed proof! "Great, here's my VISA card, how much to ship it back?"

"We'll have to get back to you on that sir."

Turns out the Birmingham Proof House did not have the required license to export a gun. I made some phone calls to the correct minister of whatever and found out that, at that time, the export license was theirs for the asking, all they had to do was apply and it would be issued, no charge. I related to his to the gentlemen at the Proof House but they wanted nothing of it. I would have to arrange for an English gunsmith who held an export license to pick the gun up for me and then send it back to me on his license.

Some of you may have read my comments over the years that I believe the Proof House and the "English Gun Trade" have made it impossible for someone from the US to get a gun proofed reasonably. The actual proof process still costs about $100 but there's always that "carriage" charge that bumps it up to $4-500. Well this incident was the seed that planted the thought in my head.

I did find an exporter to get the gun back to me, I believe it cost me in the area of $3-400, but it finally came back, properly stamped and ready to go.

Back the barrels went to well known West Coast Barrel Man for browning. They came back some months later with a not too impressive Damascus pattern so back they were shipped again for another go. This time the pattern had popped nicely but every trip across the US was costing me $30-40 with insurance.

So at this point I have the gun back together, albeit with a broken stock. I haven't shot the gun but now I'm saving money up to have a proper stocking done. So I decide if I am going to have it restocked it would be worth my while to have a proper gunfitting. I got some recommendations and decided to spend a day with Keith Lupton in the Hudson Valley who did a wonderful job, fit me with both SxS and O/U try guns and gave me specific recommendations for a few guns I had brought along. Money well spent. The gun went into my closet while I regrouped for the next step.

Only, I pull it out to look at it about 3 months later and I notice what looks like rust weeping out from under the rib. Immediately put in a call to well known West Coast Barrel Man, "Hey, whats up with this?"

"Oh", he says" that may be some residual flux left over from the rib relay".

"I thought you said you didn't use acid flux?"

"I don't, but why don't you make a paste of baking soda and water and smooth it on thereto neutralize anything, just to be sure"

Yeah, OK, I tried that and it worked, I thought.

One of the best gunsmith/stockers in the US is about 20 minutes away from me, Abe Chaber. I had met Abe a few years before, but after this fiasco had started. Had I met him earlier he would have warned me about what I was getting into but as it was the gun was ready to be restocked so we looked through his stock of blanks. He told me the gun appeared to be a gamekeepers gun, lot's of engraving but an A&D boxlock with extractors, he believed the action, since it has pins instead of screws, may have been sourced from Belgium. It was finished in Birmingham but originally London Proofed. Abe found an old blank that had been around his shop for many years he said, an old Tessier blank that hadn't sold since it didn't seem to have enough figure for a high end restock but would go well on my gamekeepers gun. He sold it to me for a very reasonable price. I gave him my stock fit measurements and a deposit and told him no hurry, I'd need time to get the rest of the cash together. He said he would repair the trigger guard which had been butchered by the stock repair, restore the forend and in general do anything he could to make this project turn out better for me. I told him about the rust weeping out from under the rib. He put some RIG on it and told me he would keep an eye on it. I was finally in good hands.

Some months later I was over at Abe's with another gun and asked how the restock was coming along. I believe he had the wood headed up and brought it out for a look-see. The first thing we noticed was more rust weeping out from under the rib. Abe became concerned at this point and suggested we send the barrels out to Kirk Merrington. I agreed, in for a dollar, in for a few grand eh? But it had to be done right. It took a few months but Kirk had to completely strip the ribs, at which point he found we had caught it in time. There were substantial area of corrosion and evidence of acid flux. The barrels had to be completely taken down, reassembled and then rebrowned, $1200. Hey, this isn't going according to plan...

Then followed rough stocking, shooting to adjust final measurements, finish stocking, checkering, redoing the furniture and restoration of the forend etc. I have a great relationship with Abe and it comforting to know there's someone around that holds the proper work ethic needed to play in the arena of old guns. The work he did to finish the gun, stocking, checkering, refinishing furniture, and chasing engraving (he has some experts he works with) was just first rate. And as a bonus, that "rather plain" piece of Tessier walnut turned out to have some great figure hiding in their. Abe was also surprised and pleased for me.

The day I picked up the gun from Abe I went with mixed feelings, not about how it turned out but about all the missteps. But I look at it as tuition. I now know about the peccadilloes of the Birmingham Proof House and "carriage charges" . I know about West Coast Barrel Man and getting what you pay for. I got the gun home and put it in the safe and actually didn't shoot it for almost a year. I totaled up all the costs and it cost me just over $6K, without the initial bad barrel work and subsequent extra shipping fees it probably would have been closer to $4500, closer to $4000 if the Proof House had an export license.

But I have used it the last few seasons with great success. It has some dings and scratches from chasing birds and it's as close to a bespoke gun as I will ever come. I feed it a nice diet of 2-1/2" shells left to me by Zeke after he passed away. Full circle.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
2 members like this: Parabola, Jimmy W
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a pretty gun but what a scary experience...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking gun and loks thoroughly English to me; Birmingham rather than Belgium. Expensive heirloom now. As Ballistix999 will endorse; English boxlock non-ejectors can be picked up in the U.K. for well below their value in real terms. It looks nice so just enjoy and forget the cost. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story, the money wont matter when you carry it and enjoy it.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

That does show what a slippery slope a restoration of a "bargain" double can if things go wrong. We all dream of finding that gem in the rough, and for a modest investment ending up with perfect double. I suspect your tale will remind many here of projects started but not finished, or worse of those done which never would have been started if the owner knew what the total investment would grow to be. They do not call these two hole money pit for nothing. Not as bad as a boat but close.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob it is a beauty! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, six large over a period of years is a bit different than, say, Zeke saying "it can be your's today for six large". Looks a LOT nicer than any keeper's gun I've ever seen, nice engraving and wood.
I priced new English boxlocks from different outfits, including William Powell, and an upstart that builds a false sideplate boxlock-if you got your own stock dimensions, and a set of sound damascus tubes, you did OK.
The last article that Terry Weiand did for Shooting Sportsman on the basket case Hussey, he was pretty quiet on what it all cost (the total was up near 18 large in the first article).
Enjoy it. You could have had six large in Janus, and you wouldn't have a nice gun to use now.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a hobby. It eats money.

Give me a few more years, and I'll show you a $3,000 Sterlingworth.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a story. I feel a lot better about the $700 I put in a forend and a reblue for a Fox BE. It still bothers me that the big Missouri stock outfit (won't mention names but begins with W) sent me a semi-inlet forend in American black walnut altho I orderd it in English or French or Circassian or whatever they were calling it that day and underlined the request the best I could by telephone. It bothers me that I didn't see the difference when it arrived It bothers me that the gentleman who finished it for me chose not to embarass me by mentioning the difference up front. It bothers me enuf to make me think hard about the function and cosmetics of what I buy.

jack

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.