May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, MattH, David Williamson, LeFusil, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 1,102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,785
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you buy thru the internet, find a seller that will take it back, no questions asked. You'll only be out shipping if it isn't what you want.

I think Stallones and Walt Snyder's suggestions are solid. You might also look at Lefever Nitro Specials, Hunter Arms (LC Smith) Hunter Specials, and some others.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to hold a shotgun in my hand, although I've bought a few cheap guns without actually laying hands-on.

Without a strong return policy and some very good pictures, I don't think I'd go 1K on an unseen shotgun. I've been that high and a bit more on a rifle, but I knew the dealer and had dealt with him before.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe is correct about sticker shock at Barnett's but you can look. Looking is good. How about a Syracuse Lefever? Lot of G grades out there and yes you can pick up a pretty nice shooter G for under 1k. Not so many are steel-barreled tho and those are about the same age as your more usual damascus so it'd be a tossup on barrel strength and special low-pressure diet. Tunes whispered a bit of a hint there if you're not stuck on American scrap iron. Also don't buy too many with the stock cranked down like a hockey stick unless you like standing your jaw on the comb where a lot of folks think your cheekbone should go. I can see a lot of advantages to a mid-30s NID. Sterlingworth not so much but they're still plentiful and hell for stout and they'll come and go again without causing you too much fiscal pain.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are some very good deals out there right now in older Spanish doubles, but you'll need help to pick the right one in that price range. It's easy to make a mistake on those, but the good ones are quite nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have anything against American guns but I'd look for a Berreta SXS maybe not quite in the older time frame but certainly an older maker

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to me that presently the best values in that price range are from the Continent, although buying from a reputable seller with inspection privileges is imperative, it's easy to get stuck with a junk gun otherwise.

A word about Steve Barnett: I had a doublegun from him in my hands for inspection and the return spring snapped. He offered without hestitation to take it back for a full refund or pay for the repair, at my option. This kind of courtesy to the customer is becoming a rare thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The most quality for the least money are the German guns I think. You can get a pretty nice German 12 gauge boxlock for that.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
Sterlingworth 16 Gauges sell for under a $1000.00 time to time on Gunbroker, but you take your chances. I've seen the same for Elsies as well and once in a blue moon a 20 Ga sells for around a $1000.00. These are guns without a reserve.

BUCK2
Another option you may want to consider is a an actual Czechoslovakian made CZ BRNO. I think they were made from the 60's through the 80's and they are very nice for the price... around $400-$600 for a 12GA. I bought a pair from a board member last year and they are very well made and balanced guns.

Last edited by nca225; 04/21/11 10:21 PM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

LC Smith without a doubt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd go with a Fox....all a thousand bucks is going to get you is an over priced clapped out L.C. Smith.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.