April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, bigblock, 3 invisible), 468 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,098
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If one were to substitute card and fiber for 1-piece plastic wads with the same powder charge and shot weight what would you expect the differences to be for any given load?
Pressure:
Velocity:
Pattern:
Safety note: I have no intention of doing the above without lab verification, but I would like opinions before spending the money for lab tests.
My reasons for making a wad change is to be able to shoot 3/4 oz. target loads in the very tightly choked bores of a 1920 Parker without having to open up the chokes.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wyo:
The general answer to your question is: higher, more, and who knows. But since you don't specify bore size, further input is difficult. Also... what relationship do you think there is between that shot charge and choke? Why open them? Choke has very little effect on pressure.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[quote=Kensal Rise]Wyo:
"The general answer to your question is: higher, more, and who knows. But since you don't specify bore size, further input is difficult. "

Sorry, my mistake. The bore is 16 gauge.

"Also... what relationship do you think there is between that shot charge and choke? "

The tight chokes on this Parker ensures that shots ranging from 20 to 35 yards are ineffective unless the bird is fringed because an extra full pattern at the above ranges makes them unfit for the table.

"Why open them?"

I want patterns suitable for upland bird hunting and there are several ways of accomplishing that goal, one of which is by using card and fiber wads instead of 1- piece plastic wads.

"Choke has very little effect on pressure.
Agreed."

The question is

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can simply remove the shotcup if you wish. Just cut it off. This will require filler wads on top of the 'brush wad' you just made. The BPI 'x-stream' insert takes up the space of 1/8oz shot, and that works to make a spreader wad too.

Use chilled rather than magnum shot, the two above techniques, and it should open the pattern up quite a bit.

An alternative to the x-wad is the old trick of dividing the shot column into layers with card wads.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, I plan on using an old Lefever for grouse this year. The chokes are to tight for my type of shooting. I contacted Brian from New Era shells wanting to buy paper cased shells with fiber wads.I thaught this would open the pattern.His testing shows little difference between paper and plastic out to 30 yds. He recomended spreader loads.You may want to check around.
Dave

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
You can simply remove the shotcup if you wish. Just cut it off. This will require filler wads on top of the 'brush wad' you just made. The BPI 'x-stream' insert takes up the space of 1/8oz shot, and that works to make a spreader wad too.

Use chilled rather than magnum shot, the two above techniques, and it should open the pattern up quite a bit.

An alternative to the x-wad is the old trick of dividing the shot column into layers with card wads.

Thank you, those are good options and all are in the works. The guy that shoots the parker is temporarily recoil sensitive and recoil is an issue.

Jim
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

terc, I use card and fiber wads in only one gun and that is a #2 AyA choked IMP CYL and Mod. and because my first brass shells were Double Hammer, I could not use 1-piece plastic wads because of their inside diameter. After getting RMC brass hulls, I tried to use 1-piece plastic wads and the patterns were noticeably inferior to The loads in the DH hulls. I loaded the RMC hulls with the same as the DH loads and to my surprise the patterns were consistently outstanding. I load 12, 20 and 28 gauge brass hulls with 1-piece plastic wads and get great patterns, so I have not tried card and fiber wads in the other gauges.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wyobirds
If one were to substitute card and fiber for 1-piece plastic wads with the same powder charge and shot weight what would you expect the differences to be for any given load?
Pressure:
Velocity:
Pattern:

It isn't that simple. Just as loading different brands/types of plastic wads changes performance, using fiber wads and cards of differing thicknesses, materials, and diameters will all effect pressure, velocity, and patterning differently.

There has been much debate about the merits of fiber wads vs plastic wads. For a time I made a point of researching it and I found just as many articles written in favor of one as in favor of the other. My personal experience is that well made ammunition with fiber wads performs the same as comparable ammunition loaded with plastic wads. I prefer shooting with fiber wads because they don't leave plastic residue in the barrels and they don't leave indestructible plastic wads littering the ground.

I am sure you can work up some loads with fiber wads that will meet your objective. But why don't you first try out some 16ga factory ammo loaded with fiber wads to see how you like them?

~
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Wyo:
Also... what relationship do you think there is between that shot charge and choke? Why open them?

In general, higher charges, like tighter chokes, tend to cause greater pellet deformation. The result is more uneven patterning and less retained pellet energy way downrage. Shooting shot faster produces more penetration at close range but as the pellets fly they loose energy faster because they are more deformed and misshaped. At 40 yards those more deformed pellets may actually be going slower than well shaped pellets fired at a lower velocity. For long range, I'll take a good moderate velocity load over a high velocity magnum load any day.

~
Sidelock
Sidelock

I experimented with my Perazzi skeet gun with Tula chokes. As these guns were originally made to use Russian paper shells with felt wads, I loaded some Federal paper Gold Medal hulls with:

18gr Green Dot, 1/16" over powder wad, 1/2" felt wad, 1/16" undershot wad. 1 oz #8 shot. Federal 109 primers

18gr Green Dot, WAA 12 plastic wad, 1 oz #8 shot, Federal 109 primers.

I wondered how the patterns would compare using the two types of wads, I thought I might get a better skeet pattern with the felt wads at 16 yards as that Tula choke I think was designed for felt wads, and a tighter pattern using the WAA12 wads.
To my surprise there was no discernable difference between the two wads. FWIW,
Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.