May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, skeettx, Hoot4570, Longknife, Chantry), 834 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,500
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom et al.,
I've had a PAL since about 2002 (renewal was free, no cost). Once you get a PAL you can register one or more hunting guns into the Canada system. The gun registration is the simple part, very easily done by phone & internet, although it takes a month or more to actually get the reg certificate from the RCMP main office in Miramachi NB. Crossing the border to the north couldn't be easier. I've crossed nearby you at the Peace Bridge. You declare the gun(s), show your PAL and the reg certificates(s), and you're in. NO additional paperwork, delay or cost.

Returning to the US requires a US Customs certificate for the gun(s). Be sure to get them registered with US Customs before leaving the US. Usually the US agent asks what we've been hunting, how did we do, I tell him/her I have the Customs certificate and the agent bids us adieu. However if using a US airport the agent almost always asks to see the gun and Customs certificate.

Regarding getting a Canada PAL, you must have taken and passed a CANADIAN Hunter safety test as a prerequisite. A US Hunter Safety test won't do. I took the Canada test one year while in Saskatchewan, and didn't do any special preparation. I believe anyone who is a safety conscious hunter with reasonable thought process, should be able to pass it without a problem. With you being near Buffalo, you should be able to find a Canada Hunter Training Instructor to administer the test just across the border near Hamilton ON, etc.

I hope this helps you and others. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let me put things in perspective for you fellows. My 13 year old grandson sat in on about 4 hours of instruction last summer. He took the manual home and spent 2 or 3 hours studying it. He went back the following Sunday, wrote the exam and did the hands-on test, and got 98%. If you can function in the English language, or the French if desired, and are possessed of even a modicum of common sense, you can walk thru the PAL process with no problems whatsoever!
As an aside, and as stated elsewhere above, you will have a LOT less trouble with Canada Customs at the border, than you will with US Customs. I've crossed back and forth NUMEROUS times since 9/11 and my only hang-ups have been with your people, not ours. Quite frankly, most of the US Customs people with whom I've had to deal are totally clueless as to correct procedures and requirements.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Silvers
Returning to the US requires a US Customs certificate for the gun(s). Be sure to get them registered with US Customs before leaving the US. Usually the US agent asks what we've been hunting, how did we do, I tell him/her I have the Customs certificate and the agent bids us adieu. However if using a US airport the agent almost always asks to see the gun and Customs certificate.Silvers

That 'customs certificate' is ONE way of proving you owned the gun or computer or whatever BEFORE you left the country. A bill of sale or other written proof is sufficient under CUSTOMS REGULATIONS, but the customs guys all seem to think the certificate is required. They're a pain to get unless you live in a city with an international airport or a port. My customs certificate on the gun I travel with is signed by my local POSTMASTER as ex-officio customs officer, with a Valdosta GA postmark. I've asked here before whether that's legal and nobody seems to know. I have never been able to find a regulation authorizing the Postmaster to sign...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 03/16/11 10:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have all the guns (at least a dozen)that I use in Canada registered on the American side.
In the 30 years I've been hunting and shooting in Canada, I've been checked twice and, both times, by the same customs agent.
Thanks for all the good information and advice. This is 30-45 minutes at the bridge that can easily be avoided.
There was a time when none of this was necessary. If there had been two more votes in the Canadian Parliament last year, we wouldn't be having this discourse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When returning from Canada a year ago, I mistkenly handed the US Customs officer the US Form for an O/U. The gun I had in the car was a pump (obviously different S/N.) He opened the gun case, looked at the gun, then closed it up and waved me thru. Doesn't give much comfort about their ability find the bad guys.

Hal
Unregistered
Hal
Unregistered

Since the gun law went into effect we have been paying $50 Canadian per year to import three or less longguns for hunting. US Customs has never asked us about guns, only game, at the Maida, ND station. But things may be different in other states. We download the Canadian forms and have two copies plus the original all filled out except for our signatures which must be done at Canadian Customs. Never a problem or delay.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.