April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, Vol423, Hammergun, Sun Dog, 2 invisible), 375 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Oh, now they make them out of aluminium. That makes them even more useless. The brass ones could at least be used as a decoy anchor.

Laughed out loud.

thanks,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As indicated above, the drop-in gauge only works if bore diameters are "standard" (12ga = .729, etc). I have a German 20ga that's a solid improved cylinder (.007) in one barrel. My drop-in Galazan gauge shows no choke. Because that particular gun is marked 19 on the barrel flats, I know it's overbored by at least .010 from the 20ga standard of .615--so the overbore results in an incorrect reading. You need a tool that measures both bore diameter and constriction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually they're valuable in the right hands. When I'm looking at a vintage gun for sale I always ask what kind of tool they used to measure the choke. Often they've listed it as cylinder/cylinder. If it was one of the drop-in gauges then I know there's a pretty good chance the gun has more choke than the seller thinks. Some years ago I bought a great 32" Parker that was listed for sale as improved cylinder. I made the inquiry, knowing those early guns were generally way overbored. The seller had used one of those awful tools. Well, most people were turned away from it but I took the chance. Low and behold it carries original .035 chokes in both tubes and the gun is close to being in new condition! Lesson learned.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, I ran a bore and choke gauge in one of those old Parkers, and discovered the bores were about .750. That'll hide a lot of choke, if you're using a drop-in gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Merkel, for example, if sawed off at the 20" mark, would check out on the drop in "gauge" as a strong improved cylinder or weak modified. A skeet bored gun with an almost invisible dent at the muzzle may check out as a full choke gun using the drop in "gauge".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I polished mine up with Brasso. Looks useful and cool on the shelf in my little gun room!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine's aquiring a nice patina from lack of use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Okay, I know the brass guage isn't reliable for exact choke measurement, but it will tell me whether the chokes are open or tight at least as well as a dime will in a 12ga bore, and the drop-in is good for all guages whereas a dime is not. That's all I really need to know at a gunshow.

Its nice too to tell when a set of barrels has been reamed way out. I once dropped my brass choke guage into an otherwise nice looking LC Smith 12ga and it fell all the way down through the chamber; the quick thinking seller piped up that he'd need to charge more for the gun since it was obviously a sought after 10ga instead of a run of the mill 12ga...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Okay, I know the brass guage isn't reliable for exact choke measurement, but it will tell me whether the chokes are open or tight at least as well as a dime will in a 12ga bore, and the drop-in is good for all guages whereas a dime is not. That's all I really need to know at a gunshow.

George I don't think either the gauge or the dime tell you anything. With either the choke could be full or be cylinder. I have seen twelve gauge BORESs run from .707 up to .750.

I still think the remark about using the gauges for a duck decoy anchor was very accurate.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The road to hell is paved with all the fools I've been and yet I somehow avoided buying a "ring sizer" choke gauge. An 80$ Skeets will tell you all you need to know of bore and choke--at least in 12 and 16 gauge.

jack

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.