April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (fullandfuller, Hammergun, drcook, Argo44, FallCreekFan, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,223
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

A 12ga Model 100, 26" barrels, should run somewhere in the 6 3/4# range. Nice weight for an inexpensive production gun.

Re the faux finish, as I recall, the only ones that had that were the 280's, although I might be misremembering. But I'm not sure I've ever seen a 100 with anything but very plain-looking wood. OK stuff but plain. I don't think the grain-painters did any work on those.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Larry,
I was guessing between 6 1/2 and 6 3/4 using the bobbing right arm method.
This gun is stocked with black walnut. Not exhibition, but it does have
a good range of dark and light streaks that run horizontally the full length of
forend and buttstock, giving that smokey feel. I'd rank it a few notches above
plain but it's a subjective thing.
Regarding the "best deal going" comments, I'd have to agree.
It stacks up really well with an F. Sarriugarte that I picked up a few months back
for the same price my F-I-L spent ($300). Both guns are approx. the same vintage,
and show very little use. Both are scalloped BL extractor actions.
Spanish gun has DT, bushed pins, and a very trim beavertail.
Barrels are 27 7/8 on the spanish and is choked M/F.
Both seem like a lot of gun for the money IMO. The Sarriugarte
has the more traditional bluing, CCH and dovetail bbls, but I think the SKB gets the edge in
fit and finish and it's not even close. Just better QC on the SKB.
Can't wait to pattern it and see where the barrels shoot.
-jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

$300 for the Ithaca SKB? Another darned thief! Very good deal.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My Father in law deserves the credit. He found it.
I was only the advisor. When he asked me if I thought a 12 gauge Ithaca sxs with single trigger for 300 was a good deal,
visions of Flues, Nitro Specials and possibly an NID flashed through my head. I never thought he'd be this fortunate.
Yes, a very good deal. I guess that's what keeps us looking. Should make a great shooter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 20 gauge 280 I bought new for $360 out the door in 1976. Figured I could pay for it if I only ate two meals a day that summer in college. It has the ray bar sight and the painted on finish. It has 25" barrels and has been loaned to a good friend for several years now. Hate the ray bar sight but have never looked into replacing it. When I get it back, I will check back. It was hell on quail back when we had them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the barrels are indeed finished with black chrome ( I doubt it) it is NOT a hard and durable finish. It is much softer than regular chrome plating. Black chrome's primary use was as a coating for optics, back in the day, but, some firearms ended up in it, usually in a custom aftermarket shop. Nothing announces one's presence in the great outdoors like a gun sporting black chrome!

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 100 in 12 gauge with 26" barrels and it sports choke tubes as well. I love it for jump shooting (crawling, sneaking, wading) after wood ducks and early grouse season. The single trigger has worked flawlessly for it's whole life. Did they come with 2 triggers and were choke tubes ever a factory option on these?

I have to agree... an SKB for $300, call 911 - someone got robbed. I see them routinely selling for $800+. Just as nice as a BSS and half the price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Precisely what I paid (3C$) for a 20ga. off the consignment rack last summer. Restocked with crotch black walnetto (strait hand and a long t-guard maybe off a 280) and the longest forend you've ever seen with a brazed-on pushrod extension. Strange little gun and no wear whatsoever to whatever blacking agent on frame and barrels.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, black chrome is indeed the finish on the barrels of most SKB's imported by Ithaca. Later on, they switched to conventional blue because they ran afoul of the Japanese equivalent of the EPA, as I understand it. Toxic waste from the black chrome process. You will see some Ithaca SKB barrels that have faded. But for the most part, considering the age of the guns in question (many over 40 years), the finish seems to hold up pretty well.

Ironman, they never came with double triggers, except for the "Royal" model, which is seldom seen in this country. None of the Ithaca imports had double triggers. The choke tubes must've been added. I don't believe any sxs had choke tubes at the time Ithaca was importing the SKB's. The late 80's guns and the more recent imports (385/485) which came in under the SKB name did have choke tubes, but they're the only ones with SKB factory screw-ins.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could be, Larry. But, I'll hold off judgement until I see it-have only handled the later, blued guns. The Uggies of the era were advertised as having "Black Chrome" barrels, when, in fact, they were fully brazed and hot blued. Nothing wrong with that, but, it is inaccurate.
I actually own a gun with true black chrome applied, and know of another-a Remington 241 my Father had done in the early 1960s. It is off-the-hook shiney. Ditto a Remington 700 with one of the early stainless barrels.
Too shiney, both examples.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.