April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RedofTx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello and thanks for the replies thus far. From you guys I've learned that is it a pre-13, possibly 0 or 00 grade and a first year production 20ga. I just got off the phone with the seller and here's the skinny : Serial - 1289 and the "R" which no one has any idea what its for ; It is an 0 grade ; and... London Steel barrels with no dent/dings/bulges/ or pitts ; all the screws are still good and straight, no buggers. The bad : The reciever was blued, which it should not have been, but that can be fixed and well as the shiney re-finish on the stock. I know it's got a short LOP but I will adapt and overcome.

thanks again, redoftx

Sidelock
Sidelock

One last caveat---- unless altered it has 2-1/2" chambers but don't despair--RST makes great shells for short-chambered guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are correct, no one knows what the "R" suffix is for. There has been speculation, but nothing substantial. It would be interesting to take one apart with the "R" and see what might be different from another one. My guess is it could have meant "Repair".
In Brophy/'s book he gives drawings for oversize parts, one is the front trigger plate housing which is a 10-32 thread, and the replacement is a 12-28 thread.

Last edited by JDW; 03/04/11 12:13 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it would make a dandy canvas for Ken Hurst to scratch on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a hot dipped reblued gun. Be sure to check the barrels and ribs out well. If the barrels do not ring like a bell look for a loose rib.

When you come across a gun like this one look for a reason for such bad pictures. If the seller has other listings see if all the pictures are the same poor quality. All bad, then possible a bad camera or a person who does not know how to take better pictures. If the one gun is the only bad set of pictures then you had better understand the seller takes bad pictures when he does not want you to see the faults of a gun. Same seller had a beater Fox with major issues and his pictures are far better on that one than on this gun.

I bet when you get the gun in hand you will find it is a poorly refinished gun with major issues. Then you need to figure if it can still be saved or needs to be returned. At that price it is worth the gamble, only if the barrels are sound. They alone are worth the selling price. If they are scarp then you have a wall hanger and need to return it asap.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have handled one 20 ga damascus gun and know of (not heard of) another graded one. Damascus 20's are virtually unheard of.

I think it could be a pretty good buy for a pre-13 20GA.

Good luck and keep us posted!

RedofTx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, here she is. Now please be nice smile but to the trained eye, and there are alot here, there is alot wrong with this thing. The most obvious being the complete bluing job. But here are the positives :

1)Wood to metal fit still okay. The wood re-finish didn't take away too much.

2) Screws still okay

3) Still locks up tight as as vault and lever to the right.

4) Ebony tip on forend still in tact

5) Barrels still ring, no dents/dings

6) Decent figure wood for an 0 grade Smith. The stock is serialed to the gun under the trigger guard.
Here's the specs :
DAC - 1 3/4
DAH - 2 3/8
LOP - 13 5/8 to end of added Pachmayr Pad
Weight - 5lbs 15oz prob. due to almost 1" being cut off the stock

Anyway, when I get to it, I will have it re-done right. It will always be a re-done gun yes, but it will still shoot.

have a good day. redoftx.

Last edited by RedofTx; 03/22/11 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks to me like a well spent $400. Congrats.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

For what it is worth, I own and finally just read Brophy's book on L.C. Smith's. I actually finished reading it, just last night. According to his book, there were no 20ga. Damascus, L.C. Smiths'. I won't and can't dispute anyone who says they have handled one, all I can say is, it was discussed in his book. That is all I know.......For me that is a shame, I love Damascus.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I have no idea how many; but there is at least one Damascus LC 20-bore and I handled it last April at the Southern Side x Side, a post-13 Field Grade.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.