May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (obsessed-with-doubles, 1 invisible), 401 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,761
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The offer of bore and wall thickness measuring tools stands should you be anywhere near Ballarat at some point...
RG

Sidelock
Sidelock

A nice one, Roy.
Mine is just a bit younger, #30600, and "sweet sixteen".
Enjoy your WWG.
With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Folks, below are some responses provided by Graham Greener. I think its very kind of him to take the time to provide some info.

Can anyone here answer the unanswered questions about the stampings?

Roy,

Our archives for the period 1880 to 1890 do not contain much information. Person who bought the gun is not shown – this would have been recorded by our agent in Paris – long since gone. There was an exhibition in Paris in 1888 so it might have been one of the guns exhibited and sold there but we have no way of confirming that. The only model better than this was the Royal, then described as the model A1.

Kind regards

Graham

Sent: 28 February 2011 23:42
To: Graham Greener
Subject: Re: Found a better Greener

Hi Graham, thanks very much for your reply, I suspected this one was a better grade of gun. I shot 50 28gm shells through it over the weekend, but will take your advice regarding 25gm loads. I will also get the bores measured to see if it is still in proof.

Is there a way of finding out more about the gun? Like who would have made it, how long it took and the cost when new?

I am happy to pay for this service if it is available.

Thanks,

Royal Butler

Sent from my iPhone

On 01/03/2011, at 7:12 AM, "Graham Greener" <g.greener@btopenworld.com> wrote:
Roy,

W W Greener no. 30252 is no. 2 of a pair of best quality non-ejector Facile Princeps 12 bore shotguns made in 1883 and sold through our Paris agent. They have 13/1 proof marks which means the barrels should measure between .719 and .728 of an inch in bore size. If bores are greater than .728 of an inch gun is out of proof and should not be used unless it is re-proved. If in proof it has been proved for modern nitro cartridges but only those with a length of 65mm or less. Personally because of its age I would not be tempted to fire anything heavier than 25gm. Also check barrel wall thickness – should be in excess of 25 thou’.

Kind regards

Graham

Sent: 26 February 2011 22:12
To: 'Graham Greener'
Subject: Found a better Greener

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your feedback on the Anson and Deeley model. I had the right of return for that one so I sent it back.

Someone had tightened the action in such a way that it wouldn’t stay tight for very long.

I have since found a much nicer WW Greener that seems to have been made in 1883. It looks like it was one (No 2) of a pair, and has some very nice engraving. An elderly gent who had been collecting for 40 years had it for sale, it has been in storage for about 20 years. The second gun in the pair is somewhere in southern NSW, depending on what you tell me I might go and find it.

It is stamped Nitro Proof, but only chambered for 2.5 inch shells. I bought a case of Rio 28gm 65mm shells to try it out.

On the rib it says "WW Greener 68 Haymarket St London & 8 Avenue L'Opera Paris. Winner At the London Gun Trials 1875, 1877, 1878 and 1879."

It also says near the dolls head "Patent Treble No 3084 Wedge Fast"

Its serial number is 30252.

There are lots of stampings on the barrels forward of the breech. There are two stampings that look newer they both say AA49.

Both Barrels have some old stampings that say 13B next to some kind of proof mark. The appear just like that with the 13B over the14M.
14M
13B

There are some very faint stampings that read NOT FOR BALL or similar. I am guessing this refers to shot or solids?

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/TURBOTAXI/shotguns/?action=view&current=IMG_6172.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/TURBOTAXI/shotguns/?action=view&current=IMG_6171.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/TURBOTAXI/shotguns/?action=view&current=IMG_6164.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/TURBOTAXI/shotguns/?action=view&current=IMG_6168.jpg

I was hoping that given this seems to be a higher grade gun that there might be some history associated with it, any information is appreciated.

I have attached a couple of pictures just in case the links don’t work.

I am very excited to find this gun, and I hope its as special as it looks.

Thanks,

Last edited by Roy Australia; 03/04/11 06:41 PM.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do like the idea that a boxlock non-ejector could still be denoted "best".
It certainly looks a lovely gun.
I shall have a chance to drool on it at a Vintagers shoot some time?!
RG

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No doubt - I am yet to venture to vic for a shoot, but I am sure that will happen.

www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

But I am still hoping someone can answer the question on stampings.

www.firearms4sale.com.au
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.