May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, bsteele, prairie ghost, Replacement), 991 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,849
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

A similar problem occurred a year and a half ago. I tried to get answers and was shamelessly stonewalled.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
A similar problem occurred a year and a half ago. I tried to get answers and was shamelessly stonewalled.

Dig,

Thanks for posting that. I had thought I remembered a thread along those lines.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dig,
18 months ago you were a highly respected but relatively powerless cog in the UK gunmaking machine. I wasn't even highly respected and am no better placed now! Now that you are a man of prestige and power, try knocking again, it might produce some results this time! wink
Seriously, there are some significant people out there who are being driven to do some awkward re-designs to make sure that this is not going to happen to their new guns. There are also some lesser known but equally heavy weight individuals asking some very searching questions and not getting the answers they need to steady their hands! However, some feedback that I have received from one is that individuals within the proof houses are very concerned albeit reluctant to shoulder any responsibility at this stage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the case and NEVER been Politically correct!!!!
You may not like what you hear but it will be what I hear or find out.
Please do not confuse me with HomelessJoe.

Salopian #217594 02/14/11 09:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this problem occurring with new guns, re-proofed vintage guns or both?

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Trying to find out the facts. Historically the Proof Houses have always been very diplomatic and guarded with making public statements, and perhaps rightly so. If we need to know, they invariably publish a pamphlet or issue a statement.
As far as I can ascertain there have been a relatively small number of incidences to date.
When you consider the number of guns proofed and re-proofed per annum the failures are indeed very small in numbers. It is very early days as yet but it is my belief that it may well be a problem associated with barrel boring, choke profile or metallurgy. Safe to say that it is my belief that any reasonably sound gun with a minimum (less than modified)of choke constriction should (will?) pass proofing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got a pair of damascus barrels back from London Ptoof House - guess what? Bulged just behind the very light chokes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the proofhouse using steel shot now? I do not think so, but something has changed.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

The proof houses use the old two rule system when things go wrong.you know how it goes.
1 the proof house is always right ,no matter what.
2 see rule one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Imagine if this were applied in the automotive industry!

"We are going to test your engines to see if they blow up when revved too hard. But We won't tell you how hard, we'll just let you know if they blew up while we were doing our thing".... and no, you can't opt out or go elsewhere.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.