April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 1,041 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In store this afternoon after work, found 12 ga. grade 1 Super 30" excellent condition exterior action, bores and lockup but stock cut down to reverse comb and barrels threaded for thin-walls (5 tubes with the gun). No doubt the collector value is blown but I really liked the way this one came up, liked the blonde stock and forend. Does 950$ sound about right or not? I really need to return and find out if there's any difficutly getting the thinwalls out of the tubes but I probably won't if it appears I should talk the gun down more than 50 bucks. I have about the same irrational reaction to Supers that I have to Lefevers so don't encourage me TOO much!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

By 'thinwalls' we're talking Briley? If the chokes are indeed Brileys that's close to 5 bills worth of choke work, and generally they're concentric. That scares me not one bit, and makes the gun far more useful than F/M.

Everything depends on a good installation. Look closely.

I like the things, and have them on several guns. Others bitch about the supposed ruination of some future value which is complete crap on a thousand dollar gun. I was even taken to task for Briley choking a Sweet Sixteen barrel so I could hit something with it and get it outside in the field and off the used gun rack.

If it fits, and the chokes are good, buy it! $950 is quite reasonable.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit,
Based on your assessment the lockup is reasonably tight and the barrels look good, IMO $950 is a very good price. If the chokes are Briley's; excellent price. SP buttstocks are available.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack,
as you say collector value is gone but if its still tight lockup and barrels have no other issues (be sure to check for rings and any evidence of steel shot especially with those 30 barrels).Its a good porce but I doubt there will be much interest by other buyers (which I like to keep in mind in case I want to sell it at a later date)Maybe make an offer.I picked up a pre war 26 inch solid rib that had the comb cut down and pad added that is my "beater" for the wet days years ago for 750 at a gun show although its far from an "investment grade" I probably won't lose much if I ever sell it.
keep us posted on how you do.
Dave K

Last edited by Dave K; 01/20/07 08:32 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I also had a pre-war solid rib $&$ 26". A real "smooth opening" old river biscuit; sold it last summer and didn't loose a penny on it.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ahh....Go ahead and buy it, Jack.....And when you get tired of it, or another Lefever comes along, that you just can't live without; well, sell it to me........I'll give ya your $950 for it.
By the way, thanks again for selling me the pre-war you mention. Blew away lots of Federal Gold Medal Papers with it, on hand-thrown clays. When it's my youngest son's turn to shoot, and my turn to throw, it gets mighty hard to get one by him........
Grant.

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My pleasure, Grant. From our conversation at the time, I know it's just one of a large family. You got to take it easy on these things--they ain't potato chips!

jack

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brought it home. '66 Lightning Trap Flat knob, original Browning trap pad which if juss fine as it comes up and catches. Five Briley thinwalls cylinder thru full and spinner. Plenty of cast which I like and whoever razeed the stock to a reverse comb did a creditable job of fairing, recutting the comb flute and finishing. Comes up flat beads and centered every time so must be right where my cheek is hitting. I can't think of a thing to do to it except shoot it.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

My last Lightning Broadway, 1967, was a bit high for me. I would have liked to shave the stock a bit, but sold it cheap instead. If I ran across a shaved comb example, I would have bought it too.

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This one is not the Broadway. Only "Broadway" rib I've had is on my old GTI. I've always believed there's something to that shadow line business with center grooved and the margins "file cut"--not much, but something. Bottom firing pin is cratered. No problem, still got that one in what's left of the Midwest parts kit.

jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.