May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, CJF, prairie ghost, FlyChamps, Themauserkid), 335 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Corkdecoy
Homeless, Got any horror stories to share?

When looking at a vintage hammer gun on the Internet a few years back that was listed by a reputable dealer that was supposed to be an 'English gun expert' (with the gun in his hand).....I asked "What condition is the breech face in ?" his answer "great condition"....."Are the firing pin holes corroded ?"..."they look fine". Everything else sounded okay so I ordered the gun.

When I opened the box the gun looked beautiful...first thing I looked at the was the breech face and firing pin holes. The right one looked like it had two holes. When you pushed the hammer forward the firing pin drooped to the point that I wondered if it would even hit the primer.

I immediately called him up and called him out on the lie he had told me.....his reply was "What do you expect for $3000 dollars ?"

I told him I expected him to refund my money along with the shipping both ways or I would take pictures and expose him on the Internet for the bull $%&^ artist he was.

Needless to say he used what little brain power he had and refunded the total amount.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ouch! I am starting to get real nervous- I guess I will get on the phone to talk to the seller of the gun that I am interested in. Good advice from lots of folks here, thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's the so called reputable gun dealers that I've had the most trouble with....they just won't tell and hope that you won't see it....Then they come up with some lame reply or offer to cut the price alittle more.

My advise is ask lots of questions and if you don't know what you are looking at....find someone who does and has the tools to measure the bores....and that is easier said than done.

Some of the guys at my gun club are gun shy of me...they don't want me going over their purchases. Then others ask me to help them look one over...I looked over a vintage English hammer gun last week with a buddy it was priced about 4 grande it had some glitter but was over priced by at least $2500 bucks in my oppinion. As a shooter I'm not sure I'd be interested at $1500 bucks.

Cleaned action.....steel barrels with scatered blued over pitting on the outside of the barrels some bad some not so bad.....a couple of spots of deep pitts in both barrels that were really hard to see (had to get outdoors and look at the sky to see them)....One barrel grew in the middle by 4 thousands ?........a couple of serial numbers didn't match....in my oppinion it was over proofed for the barrel weight and chamber thickness (blown out to 3" and re-proofed for 1 & 1/2 oz). blued hammers....the feel of the locks wasn't the greatest....long firing pin on one side short on the other....plastic butt plate.

What do you expect for 4 grande ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think most reputable dealers are . . . well, reputable. If you have questions about a particular dealer, this is a great place to ask. You will get "references" from people who've bought from that dealer and had good experiences, and you'll likely hear the not so good stuff too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My two bad experiences have both been with well-known/reputable dealers (one a national retailer with a "fine gun" room and the other a maker with a large used gun collection). In both cases, I asked specific questions about the gun condition, including action tightness. In both cases, the guns arrived with loose actions, despite assurances to the contrary. The "good" news in both cases was that the dealers made good on their misrepresentations, but there was still a fair amount of unnecessary effort and aggravation. In fact, with one gun, I sent it back for the needed repairs, and it came back 3 weeks later untouched, so I had to send it back again.

It led me to conclude some dealers will say what is needed to sell the gun and hope the buyer doesn't have the gun inspected and/or is not savvy enough to notice. And apparently they get away with it enough to continue doing it.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.