May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Borderbill, Lloyd3, SKB, 1 invisible), 589 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,144
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#216317 02/06/11 12:14 PM
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Gang:

When I attempted to go to the Shotgun World web site I got this message:
AVG links scanneralert
threat name exploit elenore kit type (1603)

What is this? I get it every time that I log on to this site. I am afraid to click on to the message as it may be an ad or a virus!

My wife inadvertently clicked onto to a similar notice a few months ago and it was an ad that was programmed into my start up program. By clicking on this notice of a warning that your computer MAY have been infected with a virus, your computer is frozen until you pay ht person who put the ad there $69.95 to take it away from your computer thus enabling one to use his computer.
This (warning) will pop up every time that you start your computer since it is embedded into your start up program.

I was,am still, upset about that. I contacted my ISP and was told that this is legal as it is deemed a form of advertising. To get it off of teh hard drive, I contacted a local computer outfit about it and they claimed that they could remove it via the telephone for only $200.00 or three easy payments of $69.95! Need I comment on what I told them to do?

In any case, what should I do? Anybody else have a similar problem?

T.I.A.,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have fortunately avoided infection. However, I did try to open SGW Forums this morning, and received an error message that the page was unavailable. At the same time, I also got a notice from my Norton Anti Virus that it had blocked an attempted attack from SGW. Apparently I'm not too bright, because I tried again, and got the same results. Something fishy is going on at SGW this morning!

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm getting the same notice from Norton. Fortunatly, Norton blocked it. Losing Shot Gun World is no loss to me so I'll just stay off it until it gets cleared up but I understand there are many who consider it a valuable resourse.

Last edited by Cary; 02/06/11 01:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any good anti-virus should catch it. I use ESET Nod 32, and it seems to be more aggressive than my old Norton.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got the same Norton message.

The best hunting is between now and dark.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kaspersky doesn't like Shotgun World this morning either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Franchi and any others who have been infected by "ransomware" here is a way to get rid of it.

I had this problem over the Christmas break, I think it got into my computer via a Java update.

Go to this site and follow the first part:

http://www.spyware-experts.com/system-tool-removal/?gclid=COHX96KyhqYCFQgHbAodvy7log

Once you get the screen shown, try going to "Last Good Configuration". If the computer opens as normal problem solved. If not re-boot and go to "Safe Mode with Networking".

Your computer will boot into your desk top but will appear a bit strange, do not worry. You will get a help pop up, look for "system restore" Open "system restore" and follow instructions, you will have to go to a restore point date that precedes your infection by the ransomware.

This should work, it worked for me. I wouldn't worry about downloading "remove system tool", your virus protection should now be able to catch it and quarantine it.

Cheers, hope this helps.

Regards - Ian Forrester
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a couple of things I would try. Both are easy and can fix a good number of problems. Download and run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Do a full scan with both programs. If they catch anthing be sure to go in and delete the virus programs they found from the quarantine area. Both programs are free.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

MalwareBytes should work, but has a tendency to permanently embed itself into your system, and then can interfere with your other protections. I won't use it again because of that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've use Malwarebyes...just the free one, then it doesn't auto run. Works well. That alongside a good AV tool and by that I mean ESET NOD32 or possibly Symantec (I use NOD 32, can't beat it). I don't like the free ones...

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Norton 360 will clean about anything. Or you could browse on Linux or Unix. I've noticed a Malware flag at Littlegun's site also.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

It knocked out my hard drive today. Shit.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy to report that Shotgunworld is back up and running as usual. The Elenore package is evidently a package of virus's one can purchase and sick on a website. It was no challenge for Jay and the SGW team as they got it back up around 1 am, some 3 or 4 hours after it was reported to Jay.

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.