March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Der Ami, JDH, craigd, JayCee, 2 invisible), 364 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#215671 02/01/11 06:01 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At Atkin, Grant & Lang we are working on a 'Colonial' grade double rifle. It is to be a long-bar top-lever boxlock with Purdey bolts and a third grip (possibly a Purdey concealed bite).

Stock will be pistol grip with cap and cheek-piece, forend probably Anson pushrod or maybe Gibbs grip catch. Double triggers. Border engraving only with engraved pins.

Iron leaf sights and ramp foresight.

The intention is to produce a rifle that Professional Hunters and regular tourist hunters who want a classic handling and looking British DR but can't afford one.

We aim to hit the US market at around $25,000.

We intend an initial model in .470 NE and a scaled down version in .375.

Discussions at present are:
1. Do we use .375 H&H rimless or .375 flanged?
2. Is there a market for a .450 calibre as well?
3. Would American buyers be interested in 9.3x74R?
4. Will anyone buy it? (We think so as there is a gap in this range right now)

Any contributions to these discussions most gratefully received.

JBG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

1. Flanged for sure

2. 450...yes as Hornady is making the ammo and the gun could be built trimmer than a 470.

3. Not really as this market is filled up with cheaper European guns.

4. If the quality and style is good I would buy one or two.

5. I would prefer chopper lump barrels and would pay more to get them.

I would love to see a good quality rifle similar to a Webley boxlock double. The market exists as you would be competing with Heym, Searcy (no comparison) and that's about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For $25,000 it'd have to be alot better than a 'colonial grade' to match other makers.
You're almost up to the price range of Searcy's Rigby/Bissel Rising Bite Sidelock of $32,000
Then when you add on the importation and a markup for the local distributor... It just doesn't add up.

Mr Baily Bradshaw in Texas is building a falling block double rifle up to a 500 NE for less than your bacic price.
Then when you bring the contiental makers in to the fray, it's getting ugly quickly.

I have 13 DR's now and they include Ferlach 'Best Quality'
A. Henrys, Searcy and others.
This is now a world wide market place at the click of a button.

Peter Taksdale formerly of Purdys (IIRC)is building a large bore DR C (Colonial)class for $8500.

Perhaps you can source actions from Merkel as 'Rigby' of California does?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

By 'Colonial' grade I mean the value will be built into the actions and barrels. The gun will be very 1920s British in style and not based on a continental action.

Thank you for your input. Clearly we must aim to do better than the opposition in our price class.

I was involved at the very beginning with Peter's project but decided it was not the quality of rifle I wished to offer and walked away. It is an Effebi built Italian standard model. We will be building ours in the UK on an action of our own design, based on the long-bar Webley type boxlock DR action. I wish Peter well with his project but we are aiming at better quality and therefore a higher price point.

Last edited by Small Bore; 02/01/11 09:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It will be interesting to see what happens! There is always room in the vault for a quality rifle. I have no doubt that your's will be among the better ones available.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A screw grip, long bar, on a scaled .450 frame, say 10.5 lbs would be a winner I think.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

My PH this last summer in RSA said his older brother (also a PH) was getting a DR that a British maker was making marketed towards the working professional at a do-able price. My guy couldn't remember the makers' name, he isn't as gun focused as I am.
At Reno I saw them both, but forgot to ask the elder one about the rifle. His younger brother said it was in the country (RSA?) but had one more paperwork hurdle before he took possesion.
Perhaps it is an example of this Atkin, Grant, and Lang?
From what I read at AccurateReloading.com, there are lots of options at well under $25K. Of course none of them British. Alas even at those prices they are not an option for me, anytime soon.
Lou M

If it weren't for the wonder of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Correction:
"Perhaps it is an example of this Atkin, Grant, and Lang?"
I asked, and I my PH's brother's new rifle is an Anderson Wheeler, .500 NE.
Someday, someday....

So in answer to Smallbore's original question:
Heck yes. 9.3x74R < my preference < .577 NE

Lou M.

Last edited by LouM; 02/05/11 06:08 PM.

If it weren't for the wonder of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig...Have you thought about 7 x 57R with perhaps an optional chambering in 7 x 65R? This sort offering may provide the oportunity to perhaps utilize the same barrel blanks. That comment is a bit off topic yes but trying to find a 7 x 57R SxS D/R is not exactly easy and there might be a market for it.

In regards to your question about offering a .450 calibre..what did you have in mind? .450 No. 2 with its more robust rim thickness? (the .450 No. 2 is of course in the same general class as .470 NE). The 9.3 x 74R...there is a lot of competition from Euro makers in the calibre. I think that a .375 flanged offering would be an automatic due to the popularity and desirabilty of rifles in this chambering. Have you considered offering a 450/400 3 inch? This offering overlaps a bit with the .375 in engergy but there is the romance and reputation of this cartridge due to Taylors and others authors writings. Anyway...If I had the means to...I would consider a DR in 7 x 57R or 450/400 three inch. My two cents. Jeff S.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Jeff, 7x57R (7x65R) makes a lot of sense. But the rifle in such a small bore should be light enough for easy stalking or even mountain hunting.

With kind regrds,
Jani

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.