May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Terry Buffum, smlekid), 277 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,130
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it were me, the only reason I'd care to know deeply as to what happened to the barrel would be for purposes of litigation.

If I wanted to litigate, I would not go to a metalurgist or any other seemingly qualified person because a good defense attorney will disqualify them if they are clever enough.

Tell your friend to lookup up the London Proof House. (worshipful company of gun makers...I think that's the full name) They do post mortems on failed guns and their opinion would be irrefutable by comparison to an American metalurgy expert.

The unfortunate thing about Turkish guns is that their proof laws carry no real weight. They are not a CIP recognized country. (CIP is the international proof standards consortium by which most of Europe abides)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will post clearer and more detailed pictures, Thanks for the unbelievable help, you wont believe that a closely related party in a renowned personal injury lawyer that will help him.

PDD

pittypatdugan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before I'd send the gun anywhere or let it out of my sight, I'd consult an attorney, a good PL one. The defendants have a right to examine any evidence used against them. While the London Proof House may be a great resource, it may not be practicable for a U.S. tort case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pittypatdugan
you wont believe that a closely related party in a renowned personal injury lawyer that will help him. PDD

Tommy Malone, I presume...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Bonner
I always say to my young shooters looking to buy a first gun, get a used Rem 1100, or a used Citori, not a glitzy Turk with usually a horrible trigger pull.
You get what you pay for in this world.
Mike

Mike, do you still have that Darne as an example of a horrible trigger pull? I've played with some Turks in serious need of work, but that Frenchie may have been the world champ!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Further to my earlier post on this failure. Should you decide to proceed with legal action, your lawyer would be well advised to review the case of Woodburn v Newnham and Co. This case was heard and tried by jury in the British law courts, November 19,20&21, 1929. This case refers to a failure of a gun that exhibited a longtitudinal barrel failure very similar to that illustrated in this post;with injuries resulting to the user.This was a complex case with expert witnesses being called both from the Birmingham maker of the gun;[Newnham being a retailer] and the Birmingham proof master;the gun having past proof test at Birmingham. Burrard was called as an expert witness for the plaintiff.Burrards,Photo Micrographs of the barrel, showed a longtitudinal seam in the barrel material.The defence alleged that the failure was caused by some type of barrel obstruction. The jury on a majority decision found for the defendant!

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 02/06/11 09:28 AM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrels look horribly thin to me. Just as a note, a brand new shotgun for $450? Is that normal over there? smile That would be like 299 and I can't get anything over here. Even then (really good) Turkish Yildiz .410's , of which I bought one for my son last year, are 500 ($750). I can't see how anyone can produce anything of quality for $440!!

T

(PS. I don't know the US market though so it is a UK mans observation. I hope your friend gets advice on this).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just for the record here; I have a Tristar O/U in 16ga that I've never fired as I just took it in trade and intend to resell it. However; This example was made in Spain not Turkey. As near as I can tell the barrels appear to be of reasonable thickness.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Tell your friend to lookup up the London Proof House. (worshipful company of gun makers...I think that's the full name) They do post mortems on failed guns and their opinion would be irrefutable by comparison to an American metalurgy expert. "

I'm not an attorney but even I know that the litigation would be subject to the Laws of the Country in which the failure occurred and to say an opinion by the Proof House would be irrefutable is folly. If you want to even have chance you will need a failure analysis with all the bells and whistles with academic credentials to back up the analysis, and that is a Metallurgist usually connected to a University. I haven't participated in a lot of this type of litigation but have conducted a LOT of failure analysis in the Nuclear Power Industry.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Dick on this. Sending it halfway around the world, the chain of custody would be questioned, the ability of the defendant to review the test methods and interview the experts that performed the tests, etc., would be impractical. If it were a London proofed gun and the litigation was for enormous money, that could pay for these expenses,... maybe. The tip of a finger on the average Joe, using a gun never proofed in London and maybe not worth the proof fees...I don't think so. If it were Brad Pitt's finger tip, it might happen, but Brad Pitt wouldn't be caught with a Tri-Star.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.