March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#211324 12/30/10 10:31 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can anyone tell me how to contact A Francotte? Do they have a website? I'd like to ask them some questions about one of their guns.
Thanks,
Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

They've been out of business for years. I'd suggest posting your questions here.

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Randall is correct. Francotte went under in 2001 when a venture with Dutch gunmaker Tom Derksen failed. Sad -- they were one of the greats.

The Francotte name now owned by a Dutch investor and is, so far as I know, still dormant.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. I thought they had been resurrected. I met Tom a number of years ago at a Vintage Cup.
Would the Dutch investor have the records? Does anyone know who has the records?

Thanks,
Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris:

If they have been resurrected it would be very very recently. Maybe some of our Belgian correspondents can offer more?

The investor/owner is apparently a prominent lawyer in Holland but I do not know if records are available nor the contact details.

If your gun was a US import Griffin & Howe would be your best bet for obtaining info. Bob Beach has done lots of research on the VL&D and A&F guns and has their records. Contact Bob at: research@griffinhowe.com

Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is from LittleGun:

Quote:
It was taken again a few years ago by a Netherlander who apparently transferred the company to the Netherlands (the end of 1980, the author still had a telephone contact with the company in Liege, concerning a Martini-Francotte rifle in 22, in the vain hope to know the date of manufacture of it: the files were not already consultable any more...).

To the best of my knowledge, even the building in Liege is gone.

Here is the last contact info for Derksen that I can find:
Auguste Francotte & Cie
Rue du Trois Juin, 109
Herstal
Fax: 011-32-42-40-46
Francotte@cybernet.be

The email, address and fax are Belgian.

Pete

Last edited by PeteM; 12/31/10 10:39 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Vic, I should have been clearer in my sentence. When I thought Francotte was resurrected was a few years back. I thought they were still in business. They made some great guns.

Pete, Thanks for the info, I'll try to contact Tom.

Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I am not mistaken, it seems that not too long ago, the Galazan website was suggesting it was a source for new Francottes.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.doublegunshop.com/fran1.htm
note date on page - 1996

http://www.doublegunshop.com/dgsnos2.htm
if you're interested in manufacturing dates

FWIW, I've heard nothing of any connection between CSMC/Galazan and any 'new' Francottes...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris,

I sent you a pm.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris, have you checked your serial number against Bob Beach's list? It's available on the website.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Francotte are still making guns in NL. They have loads of orders and they are not looking for any more at this time. I understand that they will not give any info from the records. I know them very well.

John Foster
Sidelock
Sidelock

John:
Please provide us w/ some more information on the new 'Auguste Francotte', Netherlands manufactured, SxS shotguns you refer to.
Website? Order forms? Factory address? Pictures of recent guns? Prices?
Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Randall you just ask the question (s) what I wanted to ask John. I am very curious like you and many of us.
Marc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Francotte makers have so many orders that they don't want to take any more. They have no web site and just want to make guns full time. They are making mainly 28g shot guns and double rifles. I call and see them for a coffee every time I am passing through NL to get to Liege. When Tom Derksen went under the lawyer bought the Francotte name and the gunsmith bought the tooling and machinery and he is making the Francotte guns.

John Foster
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, if this was an early import, Bob Beach maybe be able to help out as Vic stated earlier. Here's some more info:

http://www.griffinhowe.com/research-main.cfm

Good Luck to you!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you seen/held one of these new guns?

Until I see a picture of, or hold, a brand new 'Auguste Francotte' gun manufactured & proofed in the NL, or information regarding purchasing one, I'll remain skeptical such guns exist.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Randall
I have seen them, shot them, bought one and sold one and there is not a proof house in NL they are proofed in Liege. What is your interest in Francotte?? Do you want to buy one?? If so let me know what you want and I can find out when you can order it.

John Foster
Sidelock
Sidelock

Randall
Steve Barnett has a very high grade .410" side lock. You may want to look it up. Steve had it at the Tulsa gun show.

John Foster
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, I look Steve's web and the sidelock you mention is absoluut not a new made Francotte gun. True that the Netherlands not have a proof house. I am familiar with the Lige proof house records and as far as I know there are under the name Francotte NO guns prooved in 2008 and 2009.
If you can give an example of 1 gun registred in the Lige proof house register under the name A.Francotte please show us and if you can I excuse myself for all members.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gettemans
I did not say that the gun Steve has was made in NL. I just said he had one on his tables at the Tulsa gun show. I thought that Randall may be interested in buying it.

John Foster
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Foster,

I believe this is very simple. How does one contact Francotte? What is the name of the current owner? Where in the NL are they being produced?

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John,
Thanks for joining in. I thought I had heard something about new Francotte production, but couldn't quite remember for sure.
I would really like to study the records for a few guns if the records exist and access given to them. I would appreciate any help on your end.
I would like to know how to contact them.
The guns I want to research most likely were not imported into the USA, so the Francotte ledger books would be needed.

Thanks,
Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris & Pete
I understand that they do not want to be contacted with regards to giving out information from the Francotte records. The lawyer is busy working on his multi million wind farm in Scotland and the gunmaker is busy making guns. I will call him this after noon and ask if he will take calls with regards to the records.

John Foster
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have just had a conversation with the Francotte gunmaker and it is as I said. They do not want to be contacted to search the records of Francotte. They are far to busy to do that. He has confirmed that he does not want any orders at this time. He is finishing a pair of side lock 28 bores for a Dutch customer that already has a pair of 12's and a pair of 20's. He is also finishing a double rifle that he collected form the engraver yesterday.

My friend said that he would search the records for me as a favour on one or two guns but this could take some time as they are at the lawyer's home and he is in Scotland most of the time.

I am sorry that I can't be more helpful but my friend has asked me not to give out his contact details. I will be visiting him in March

John Foster
Sidelock
Sidelock

John Foster:
Your last entry is most intriguing. I have a Francotte that MAY be the most historically significant Francotte in America. Perhaps anywhere. If you PM me I will explain what I mean... and humbly ask that you include this gun in your limited availability to search the Francotte records. Thank you in advance.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

John:
I assume you took some pictures of the gun(s) you saw, shot, bought, & sold?
If so, please post them.
If not, please ask your busy friend if it would be possible for you take to take some pics when you visit him in March, to be posted here, w/o any contact info whatsoever, so he won't be bothered w/ any inquiries about possible new business.
Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK Randall
I will do my best and see what I can photograph in the shop. I am not to good at PC work so if I can get some photographs I may just email them to you and let you post them. Is that OK?? If so send me your email address. to info@johnfostergunmaker.co.uk

I should call and see my Friend about March 8th. on the way to IWA2011 or March 29th. on the way to the French Rame Fair at Rambouillet.
John.

John Foster
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kensal
My friend has searched the Francotte records for your gun and I have emailed you the findings.

John Foster
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.