March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#210802 12/25/10 10:18 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are a number of side bys ides with round underbolts instead of the usual Purdey underbolt. From my research the round bolted SXS include Winchester Mod 21, Horsley, Ithaca Flues and a few others.

Are there any others?

Those of you who have round bolted SXS's- how have they held up? Have you had any problsme with the barrels coming off face or the gun shooting prematurelly or repeatedly loose?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Baker front trigger break, ca. 1875.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm.....I have two fluesies; a 12 and a 16. The bolt is round but the engagement surface is flat. One gun is well worn and slightly loose but I believe the culprit is the hook/pin rather than the bolt. Since the round bolt has more surface area where it interfaces with the receiver I would think that it would be more robust than a typical flat bolt. It would be interesting to know Emil Flues' thinking...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like Philbert I have a Flues that is loose. The lever is to the right so I surmise the problem also lies with the hook/pin.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 12/25/10 12:36 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Easier to make a round hole than a rectangular one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the Flusies which I have owned the bolt is adjustable. The round bolt passes through a square carrier with a set screw which can be loosened, the bolt slid forward for deeper engagement. The bolting surface itself is cut on a taper. The hinge is not adjustable on them & using this to bring the lever back to center does nothing at all except relocate the lever (unless of course the bolt was so worn the lever had reached its limit of travel). "IF" you in fact had bearing on the rib bolt moving the lever to the right will lose this bearing.
Arguments can be, & have, been made for the superiorty of both styles of bolts.
Some Crescent doubles had round bolts, at least a hammer double bearing the trade name of American Gun Co of mine has a round underbolt.
My favorite Double, the Lefever, has no underbolt at all.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
On the Flusies which I have owned the bolt is adjustable. The round bolt passes through a square carrier with a set screw which can be loosened, the bolt slid forward for deeper engagement.

Thanks Miller, that is valuable information.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all,

Just noticed i mispelled the title of the thread! Apologies.

Thank you to all who have posted here with very useful info.

Add two more SXS's with round bolts that I remembered, one is a Belgian Darry with a round bolt measuring 8mm in diameter, fitting in a round recess under the barrels. The other is a Daw circa 1855 (?) with a round bolt which seemed to be around 7 mm in diameter. Both were tight actioned.

From my moderate metalworking experience it would seem that drilling/reaming a round hole is easier than broaching a square recess. I do not know what spark erosion machining has done for this, but even with that technology available the round hole seems easier and perhaps cheaper to make.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seen a few "cheap" continental made guns with round bolt holes , Some were then broached out to take a conventional bolt . Also seen one or two early guns with single bites that were round . Sorry can not racall makes. Racall? damm spoll chicker.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.