Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Sometimes the big ones take some killing, they are tough.

Good point. I will also be carrying a Ruger Blackhawk .357 or a S&W Mountain Gun in .44 Mag, just in case.

Last edited by Replacement; 03/06/11 02:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You'll do much more with a rifle, especially with a 'twin tubed dream'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, if you are referring to my sidearm choice, you gotta read the whole thread. I'll probably be using a .243, with the handgun just for backup.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My backup is a Kimber 45. Great finisher. I always carry it on the Ranch due to the Pig Problem.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
My backup is a Kimber 45. Great finisher.

Nothing wrong with one of those, but I think I'd rather have the reliability of a wheelgun. Plus, the revolvers are lighter and easier to carry (for me) when there is a lot of walking/hiking involved. I might even have my conversion cylinder done by then to use the Blackhawk as a .357-44 B&D (.357 bullet in necked down .44 Mag brass).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is a Collared Peccary a hog, albeit small? This one was shot with a 12 bore H&H Paradox gun in Argentina.

~
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was going to say yes, because it looks a lot like our javelina, which most consider to be a small pig. It looks like a pig and cooks like a pig, but apparently it is no longer classified as a pig. From Wikipedia:

"The collared peccary (Pecari tajacu) is a species of mammal in the family Tayassuidae that is found in North, Central, and South America. They are commonly referred to as javelina, saíno or báquiro, although these terms are also used to describe other species in the family. The species is also known as the musk hog and Mexican hog. In Trinidad, it is colloquially known as quenk.
Although somewhat related to the pigs and frequently referred to as one, this species and the other peccaries are no longer classified in the pig family, Suidae."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear that the problem is so bad in Texas they want people to come from everywhere to hunt them. That would be an excellent trip as long as some bird hunting is thrown in there as well!
Anyone know of any package deals available?

And what’s the dog of choice for hunting hogs, curs???

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was waiting for someone else to chime in on the dog question, but no one stepped up, so here goes. I don't actually know of anyone in So Cal who hunts hogs with a dog or dogs, although I am sure there are some who do. Typically, hogs here are a spot and stalk proposition, although you can sometimes stumble into them at close range.

FWIW, one of the cable TV channels (Discovery?) recently ran a series of episodes on professional hog hunters (animal control types) in places from Florida to Hawaii, and those who used dogs had everything from a ginormous Great Dane to small packs of pit bulls. I have read that some of the Southern boys use Walker Hounds, and I can understand why. My all time favorite dog was a Walker that was 132 pounds of gristle with jaws big enough to pick up a pit bull and throw it around.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you sir, we might be talking about the same breed of dog as the Black Mouth Curs look similar to a pit bull but has longer legs. The term 'Black Mouth Cur' I've only heard once and from an old hillbilly friend of mine in West Virginia and just might be a slang term for the actual name of the Walker Hound breed.
No?

Funny but you should see the gun he uses to hunt hogs with, an old beat up LC Smith, I've never seen a gun with this much wear, not a pump an autoloader or a single shot, but I've never seen a more beautiful double!! smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.