March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, guys, makes sense but the only thing I can't figure out why the deep grove? The 4 wings are only 1/10th inch wide and the band in front of the grove is just smaller than the wings. Maybe the band in front of the groove is land size and the wings groove size? I still need to get the cerrosafe from my brother to at least cast something so it is easier to measure. Sure is an odd looking bullet. This came in a lot of 10 English molds I just bought, the owner did not know what it was for either.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GDavidson
This came in a lot of 10 English molds I just bought, the owner did not know what it was for either.

Gary,
Any molds for 10 or 12 bore rifle in that lot?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, there is a very large brass 12 Bore conical with 3 grease groves and I also have a steel Alex Henry 12 Bore conical with 3 grease groves made for a brass case rifle. No 10 Bores, many .450's and a .577 conical and 3 .500's. None for sale yet. Might have some more coming in next month.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do also get that mould warmed up to operating temperature and cast some bullets out of lead/tin alloy.
That one groove is for grease, just like a proper paradox bullet.

Originally Posted By: GDavidson
I still need to get the cerrosafe from my brother to at least cast something so it is easier to measure...

A cerrosafe casting will likely be misleading.
What's important is what size of bullet it throws in a proper bullet casting alloy.

Is there a 16-bore or 20-bore bullet mould in the pile?

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Tinker, no 16 or 20 bore molds, although I might have some next month, just don't know what is available yet on a bunch I am looking at. I think you are right that it is a grease groove, but Paradox bullets used no grease in the groove, the groove was for displaced lead when the heavy rifling was hit at the end of the barrels. I have shot different 8 Bore rifles and 8 Bore paradox guns and with similar weight of charge, bullet and rifle, the paradox guns seem to have lighter recoil. Neat guns, wish I still had one, can't afford one now! Take care!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary-

I hear you on the nitro/cordite paradox detail.
This could really be anything, and I suspect it's for a muzzle loading rifle.
That would be a good bit of grease for a ~.56 caliber black powder rifle.

I will look forward to seeing if you come across a 20bore (.625) or a 16bore mould.
One of my 16bore cartridge rifles has groove dimensions closer to 14bore (built for the thin brass case...)

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tinker, will let you know what is available as soon as I hear from the seller, might be after new years. My brother used to have an Alex Henry 20 bore rifle and I had the next consecutive serial number Henry in .577 3". Both made for the Maharaja of Patiallah in 1874. Sold both of them, dang it! I also had a 16 bore Lancaster double rifle made for the Maharaja of Bulrampoor in 1876, cased with 16 accessories. Sold it too and wished I had it back.
Take care, Gary

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Gary-

The smaller bore-rifles are just wonderful.
Two of mine are built relatively light for thin-skinned game, one of them (a 16bore) runs big powder charges and long thin brass cases.
I'll look forward to anything you come up with. Note I've pinged your email account with a note on this topic too.

Cheers
Tinker

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.