March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just purchased a brass English bullet mold with the only marks on it "JG". It mikes .533 and casts a pointed bullet (slightly rounded at the tip) with one deep groove. The bullet is .8135 in length. I have not cast any bullets so I don't know the weight. I have checked all the books I have and can not find anything similar except the Fauneta bullet, which it looks exactly like. The bullet looks like it would be too light, I will have to cast some when things slow down a bit. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From your description I believe you may have a mould for a 'Paradox' bullet. Photographs would be of help if you can manage a couple.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry, the mould says Greenfield, London, not JG. Here are some pictures of it:

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting mold. Same shape as an LT capped bullet but if it was the same length it would be way heavy. Could you send a casting to Millar? Maybe he could copy it in 20 or 12.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will cast some bullets next week after Christmas. I assume you mean John Millar in the Yukon. I am still not sure what it is. I would think it would be rather light, as it is smaller than it appears. It has 4 square indents in the mold right at the base. You can see these in the pictures. I have some cerrosafe and will use that this week to get exact dimensions. Will post pictures of the bullet and measurements this week. Thanks for your help.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes JM in Canada but not the Yukon. Maybe I could get you to send me a couple of castings? Capped bullets , because they are hollow are long for their weight in comparison to solid lead bullets even a very wasp wasted paradox. LT capped 20's are not much shorter than a 12 capped bullet. I would expect a 28 to follow suit.

A solid lead 20gauge, the same weight as a 20 LT capped bullet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Definitely a neat mould.
With those four squared detents in the base of the mould, I immediately think of a muzzle loader, with four grooves...

On cerrosafe, don't bother.
It's designed to throw bullets of (whatever diameter, depending on alloy...) a specific diameter.
Try 1/20

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was going to use the Cerrosafe to get the exact dimensions of the bullet and to see what the casting looks like. I will get some lead castings done after the holidays, plus it is only 13 degrees in my garage!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having seen pictures of the mould, I agree with Tinker, it's a muzzle loading bullet for a four groove barrel. There's no way you could load that bullet into a cartridge case, or even breech seat it.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Think 'Jacobs Rifle'

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
...it's a muzzle loading bullet for a four groove barrel. There's no way you could load that bullet into a cartridge case, or even breech seat it

There's a graphic for you on the Jacobs system, which wasn't the only way to fly with keyed bullets, but there you have it.

Cheers
Tinker

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.