April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (grouse28, CJ Dawe, MattH), 1,211 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take a close look at your lock when the hammer is in the down postion. I bet you'll see the letters "IB", for Joseph Brazier, between the arms of the spring. There are not many locks better than a Brazier. The 2 sets I've had have piercings exactly like the one on your bridle plate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To answer Obsessed with Doubles question. We use old used Industrial cartridge cases. Fiocchi, Federal, Winchester and Remington all make them. They are used in a special gun and shoot 3 ounce solid slugs and are used to descale lime kilns and such like. I get mine from a local lime works and they use them by the thousand. I prefer the Remington ones but they have now switched to Winchester. I had a special die made to re-size the heads as they have a step in to stop them being inadvertently loaded into a sporting gun and fired with the slug with disasterous results. Load as normal and finish with a roll crimp.

If you want some fired Winchester cases and are willing to collect them from Derbyshire I will gladly let you have a load of them. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus-

Thanks for the info. Do they shoot the inside of the kilns? I want that job.

And do you have any idea where I can buy a copy of Douglas Macdougall's book on 8 bores? Do you know the complete title?

Thanks again,

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
CBL1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bsteele
Take a close look at your lock when the hammer is in the down postion. I bet you'll see the letters "IB", for Joseph Brazier, between the arms of the spring. There are not many locks better than a Brazier. The 2 sets I've had have piercings exactly like the one on your bridle plate.

Spot on - the locks are indeed Ashe and Brazier as I checked this when the locks were off. A few more pics of them if you are interested. Those chaps in the 19th century were certainly craftsmen!

Because Eley stopped making 8 bore cartridges in 1976, reloading is the only realistic option now. As mentioned, Alan Myers does load and sell, but as 5/$8 per shot for non-toxic (ITM), it is not cheap smile. Still, it is not as if I fire many cartridges in a seasons wildfowling!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful fences.

Check out this site for some info on locks:

http://www.muzzleloaders-etcetera.com/overview_of_locks.htm

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do I get credit for the photos? wink

CBL1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
Do I get credit for the photos? wink

You do - definitely a career as a hand model if ever you want to moonlight smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Obsessed with Doubles; sorry about the slow reply as I have been busy working the dogs on shoots - out again tomorrow. Those kilns are shot up but via a port in the side, the gun used is not a very conventional thing at all but I understand Winchester did make a single barrel gun that looked like the model 37 for this purpose.

Douglass McDougall (now deceased) wrote three books on 8 bore loading, plus some others on wildfowling in general. The 8 bore books are; 8 Bore Guns and their Cartridges written in 1979; More 8 Bore Loads written in 1981 (both paperback) and a hardback edition which combined them both with a small addition called 8 Bore Ammunition written in 1985. I have them all but they are now very scarce. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus-

Thanks for the info. I ordered one of them from a dealer over here. I'm not sure which one. I'll see when it shows up.

Which issue os the Shooting Times had the article you mentioned? I may be able to find a copy on Ebay.

And how is the snowy weather effecting the shooting?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
CBL1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Gregg. The snow and cold temperatures have had a major impact over here, with Scotland now in the midst of a cold-weather wildfowling/wader shooting ban and England not far off it if things continue. There are quite prescriptive rules here, primarily designed to ease shooting pressure on vulnerable species, although the wildfowling forum I am on has generally positive reports on wildfowl condition presently from around the UK. And of course, a wildfowling ban does not in any way prevent disturbance from others (dog walkers being a notable issue in some areas here).

However, an sportsman worth his salt will exercise volumtary restraint in these conditions and as soon as signs indicate birds are struggling, should hang up their guns.

So it could be several weeks before I get a chance to take the Paton on the marshes!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.