May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (gil russell, battle, AGS, SKB), 833 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,386
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
gunman #208057 11/05/10 04:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Incorrect tempering of receiver surface metal is the inherent flaw in the use of the high heat bone charcoal process when applied to shotgun receivers. A dangerous situation may develop as a result of incorrect tempering of the receiver surface metal after the high heat bone charcoal coloring process is completed. This is particularly true of older shotgun receivers, made prior to ww2. Factory tempering specifications were inconsistent, as receiver metallurgy formulas changed from time to time. Unfortunately, much of the original factory hardening and tempering specifications have been lost. Even the best of mechanics are only guessing when they attempt to correctly re temper a shotgun receiver after subjecting it to a high heat bone charcoal hardening process.

Quality case coloring should provide cosmetic enhancement without endangering gun integrity or shooter safety....Be careful if you are contemplating sending your prized shotgun's receiver to a high heat bone charcoal mechanic.. He is going heat it up to around 1600 degrees F... Make sure that you get it in writing, that if the receiver warps in the heating and tempering process or that if it cracks after firing, then the mechanic will assume full financial responsibility for the destruction of your gun and/or your personal injury.

A low, controlled heat process, combined with specific chemicals is the safest way to recolor a shotgun receiver. So long as the heat is kept low and controlled, the original receiver metallurgy and heat treatment is not changed. No harm is done to the gun nor is there any potential for danger to the shooter, as a result of the re coloring process.

In summary, shotgun receivers should never be re hardened in the vain interest of restoring the cosmetic effect of case colors. Case hardening is a high heat process which alters the surface molecular structure of the receiver metal. Re hardening a receiver can warp it. Subsequent efforts to straighten the metal, either by bending or filing can only harm the fine original metal-to-metal fit and adversely alter the workings of carefully aligned internal shotgun parts. In addition, if the receiver surface metal is not correctly re tempered after the hardening process, then the receiver metal may be too brittle and as a result, may crack upon firing.

Last edited by ed good; 11/05/10 04:24 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good #208058 11/05/10 04:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno... maybe a torch is the answer.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 11/05/10 04:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just based on what little description that was given on the annomoly, I'd say the warp was something that could be very small and the resultant hammer misfit is magnified by the geometry. It sounds like the fix could be very simple: slight bending of the hammer and possibly some side clearancing/polishing. But, I'm doing a diagnosis based on very little information.

To me, trying to twist or bend a frame would be scarier than refitting parts.

Last edited by Chuck H; 11/05/10 05:06 PM.
Chuck H #208065 11/05/10 05:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends:
Ed good is most wise. A good gun should NEVER be re-cased for the sake of vanity or perceived "aesthetics." There is simply too much that can go wrong. Especially with certain "well-known" US re-case shops.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed

With all due respect… you are full of it, or more precisely …you clearly don’t have a clue, the temps and process you cite are proof of that.

The heat treatment of steel is well understood by many that practice the art.

Faking true case hardening with the judicious application of a torch and some cold blues or Tincture of benzoin is kinda like restoring the Mona Lisa with crayons.

Mike

ed good #208068 11/05/10 06:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Serious problems that can occur during the case hardening process namely distortion and cracks. For example in my early life [50 plus years ago] I was considering recase hardening a gun of mine.To this end,I visited a well established Birmingham gunmaker and asked for a quote for recase hardening the action.The reply from the owner was;"only if you accept full responsibility for any distortion or cracks that may develope during the hardening process." Then to reinforce his position,he went back to the workshop and returned with the actions of a pair of Boss sidelocks that had been recase hardened.One action appeared sound the other had cracked during hardening.
Case hardening of parts such as the action of a shotgun that have many variations in section thickness and have sharp corners present, pose a significant challenge.The packing of the parts in the hardening box,protection of thin sections to prevent their conversion into high carbon steel, temperature controls and quenching methods are all critical if cracks and distortion are to be avoided.
For the above reasons I have avoid guns that have been re hardened.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most people are adding to this and it's all positive. I've been researcing the art of CCH for a while now and only do it on my own guns. I operate at proper temperatures for low times and thus my colours are not deep but I risk less by doing this.

Everyone to their own. I don't CCH everything but some things...depends on what I feel about a particular gun. smile

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

removed

wyobirds #208086 11/05/10 09:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wyobirds
I for one am relieved that the problem is fixable.
The whole story:
A friend of mine decided to upgrade his field gun and he bought a very used 16 Ga. Parker VH grade (?) on an "O" frame. Before buying he had a gunsmith checkout the gun and discovered that the gun was basically sound, but had been previously restored and needed it again. The smith told him that to restore the gun back to original would cost more than the gun is currently worth. Because the gun felt perfect when my friend mounted and shot it, he bought the gun and sent it to a shop that specialized in annealing and case color hardening. After annealing the gun was sent to an engraver to touch up the minimal engraving which include the name parker that had almost been polished out. The gunsmith that previously advised him, attempted to assemble the action and said that because the action was warped during case color hardening, the hammers would not line up to the firing pins. He is very disheartened and will take the action back to the shop that did the work. The original shop is considered by many to be experts in case coloring and I won't disclose their name until they have an opportunity to fix the problem. The gunsmith is outraged and has said that if things are not made right, he will no longer send them work. Please excuse any misstatements on my part as you are reading this second hand.

I'd seriously question the word of your friend's "gunsmith". Parker hammers have the firing pins cast as part of the hammers. They are not separate parts. Either he does not know what he is talking about or has been misquoted.

> Jim Legg <

Jim Legg #208090 11/05/10 09:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

He probably meant to say that the firing pins would no longer align with their respective holes in the breech face. But, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.