May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
14 members (HMAK, Ian Forrester, j7l2, eeb, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 1,037 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,521
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

JayCee, hand massage is needed if you use crushed cockleshell with oil. This is method for filling the pores on stocks wink

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends:
Salopian is the most wise voice here on slacum. The formula has been changed a bit over the years by Purdey. They used to sell it in tins, but no longer. And even they use it because..." they've always used it."

One thing more: According to the Purdey finisher I know, final rub-in application of the stuff involves an undisclosed element of human spit. Seriously.

Holland's and Westley's simply use Rapid Oil. Expertly applied.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few things I discovered over the years:

The final polish depends more on the degree of polishing of the wood BEFORE any oil etc is applied. If you take it to grit 400 it will be dull no matter what you use, if you polish to grit 1000 it will shine. The oil used is secondary to the final shine.

True oil may be excellent for wear. BUT, it robs walnut of its natural color, overlaying every piece of walnut with a nut brown hue which is not exactly pretty. Alkanet infused oils bring out a red hue which is just about right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RI shooter, all the information is in these threads or the links.
The wood does need to be finished very well BEFORE applying the oil, I actually 'Bone' my wood as a last step before applying the oil finish.
If you need a filler, use the wet slurry sanding operation.
Final coat will be PURE oil and spit 'bulled up' as we call it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was it Dig H. or yourself, Pete, who has a recipe which adds plaster as a filler?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Jack,

It was Dig. Here is what he shared:
I stand corrected: it was Pete/Salopian and not Dig.
Sor
ry.

"Slacum Oil

Here you go boys,
Purdey's London Finishing Oil
For Darkening, Filling & Polishing
All measures are in English (UK)
-1/2 pint of Raw Linseed Oil
-2 ozs of Plaster of Paris (Dental Quality)
-1/2 fluid oz of Butter of antimony
-1/2 Gill Spirits of Wine(2.5 fl. oz. of ethyl alcohol.
What it does I have no idea.)
-2 teaspoons of Vinegar
-1 teaspoon of Venice Turps.
You can leave out the Antimony if you don't want to darken the wood.
Leave out the Plaster if you don't need to fill the pores.
That's what is in Slacum Oil."

JC

Last edited by JayCee; 11/03/10 08:29 AM.

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was commander of an Army Honor Guard, burying young men coming back from Viet Nam, I used a lot of spit on my Corcoran Cap Toe Jump Boots to work in the polish

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian,

When you say you "Bone" the wood you mean with a piece of bone as we do in leather working etc?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Presumably the vinegar in Slacum is to raise the acidity and speed up the oxidization, ie drying, of the oil? Any chemists around to help on that?

Drying of linseed or any other drying oil is subject to the old principle of volume proportion to surface area. The more surface area exposed the faster the drying, hence the advice to use the thinnest coats possible. I have never had problems with drying when using super thin coats spread by hand. They usuall dry overnight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jaycee,
That recipe is one of mine given to me by a Purdey stocker.
Shotgunlover,
Yes you are correct on all your assumptions.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.