April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Dan R, Marks_21, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 995 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

All the attention on Global Warming has taken attention away from a far more devestating phenom, Plate Tectonics.

Seriously, think about the changes the Earth has undergone. We humans try to put things in a perspective of our own lifetime. The earth is billions of years old and has undergone significant life altering changes without human input.

Single volcano's such as Mt. Pinatubo have put more so called green house gases into the atmosphere than man has done since the dawn of the industrial age. How are we going to stop those?

We are indeed arrogant (or gullible) if we think we are anything more than simply along for the ride.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think humans just hate to think that they cannot control/change as they see fit.I know we have to try but some things are beyond our abilities as far as climate and extinctions go. We can take better control of the deforestation and pollution of our planet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's one group of people attempting to control another. Again.

This is a favorite passtime of mankind.

Those who perceive their own rights and freedoms trod upon by their self proclaimed saviors tend to object.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: nhcrowshooter

Single volcano's such as Mt. Pinatubo have put more so called green house gases into the atmosphere than man has done since the dawn of the industrial age.

Careful or you might scare the golden goose away with those pesky facts.

What ever happened to those glaciers that covered much of the upper Midwest?

Where did Greenland get it's name?

Science is not supposed to be agenda driven. These crack-pots that call them selves climate scientists are nothing more than 2 bit fortune tellers at a local carnival. Unless... They have unlimited funding. (golden goose)

Now cement companies are lobbying for our taxs $ to help "save the world"
Cemex captures carbon abatement grant

When the poison spaghetti light bulbs that are polluting our landfills (just upstream from where I fish for walleye with my kids) are the only bulb that's available to buy then OSHA is going to tell me I can't run my lathe, milling machine, surface grinder, duplicator & drill press to build guns anymore.

Maybe that's just part of their plan.

GUNMAKER
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is not arrogant to think that humans can fundamentally affect the Earth's environment. We have already burned a hole in the ozone layer, sulfur dioxide from midwest power plants nearly destroyed northeastern forests, and now mercury from Chinese power plants is being deposited in Nova Scotia. More importantly, solutions were found for the first two of these problems - despite their complexity and the same challenges that are now being leveled at the climate change issue. We certainly have no control over plate tectonics, Mt. Pinatubo or long-term climate change, but we do have the ability to mitigate the impacts that we create - which is what is the fundamental issue.

We are always eager to rush to the ramparts to defend our rights against the scrouge of self-appointed world saviors and the like. Too bad we aren't as willing to discuss whether we are responsibly exercising those rights. I don't pretend to know enough of the science to say with conviction that human carbon emissions are contributing to climate change, and I spend most of my professional life on the other side of the table from environmental regulators, so I am no fan of environmental regulations. But from my perspective, I owe it to my grandchildren to take the prudent course until science can give us a more certain answer. If that means I have to use CFLs and drive a car with 25% less horsepower, so be it - that does not strike me as an intrusion into my rights, constitutional or otherwise. (Plus the CFLs in my house actually cut my electricity bill by 30%). I can't on the one hand make a lot of happy talk about the shotguns I hope to pass down to my grandkids, and then summarily dismiss an issue that could so fundamentally affect their lives as simply a hoax or a conspiracy or a problem beyound our control.

Just my two cents - others here and elswhere obviously take a different view.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

it was so cold in Georgia last winter i am hoping for global warming this winter! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not put that much stock into anything which has been accurately measured for only a very short time. If tempatures are tracked for 50 or 100 years you get a upward swing that everyone worries about but this is like looking at one thousandth second and thinking that you understand the entire day. Snap shots are a poor substitute to the complete picture of time.

Trends are more important than instant perspective but it is a major mistake to jump at each trend. When I was growing up we were being told that global cooling was a certain fact and a few told us we were doomed. Now a few tell us that global warming will result in our total demise. I suspect that the truth will disappoint them.

More important will be how we adapt to the changes that are coming. Many seem fixed on limiting use of resources when you would be better off thing about ways to be more efficient. Instead of gun control I think we need population control in many areas. If the world population goes from six to ten billion in the next 30 years, as many predict, we will have a lot more problems than just global warming/cooling. Fresh water and food will be stretched to the max. And history shows that basic needs of food and water will be met or any government will fail in short order.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The lack of water is going to be the deciding factor in a lot of decisions concerning the future of mankind and how he lives in the near future. Clean water is already scarce in many parts of the world and growing scarcer. The disappearance of the glaciers in central asia is going to be more than just an inconvenience for millions and will have far reaching political consequences.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
We have already burned a hole in the ozone layer,

Follow the money...
Dupont's patent concerning manufacturing R-12 #3258500 ran out in 1979. R-12 is heavier than air by the way. Eco-mental scientists will tell you you're too stupid to understand.
Dupont just happened to have the "cure" with R134A.
That's about when chicken little started squaking about the hole in the ozone. Legislation helped Dupont make millions.

Think it's just a coincidence?
I don't.

GUNMAKER
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
It is not arrogant to think that humans can fundamentally affect the Earth's environment. We have already burned a hole in the ozone layer, sulfur dioxide from midwest power plants nearly destroyed northeastern forests, and now mercury from Chinese power plants is being deposited in Nova Scotia. More importantly, solutions were found for the first two of these problems - despite their complexity and the same challenges that are now being leveled at the climate change issue. We certainly have no control over plate tectonics, Mt. Pinatubo or long-term climate change, but we do have the ability to mitigate the impacts that we create - which is what is the fundamental issue.

Yes it is arrogant and naive. We are not God. The complex systems on this little blue ball are beyond our understanding.

We burned a hole in the Ozone? We have no idea what the Ozone layer looked like before 1985. Oh and by the way, it turns out we need a hole in the ozone layer to fight global warming http://insciences.org/article.php?article_id=8210 Oh my another crisis that needs study and government funding!

Almost destroyed northeastern forests? I live in the northeast, our land in this state is currently 89% forested and was throughout the 20th century. It was never even close to being destroyed. Alarmist language on your part.

Politics seeks power and control, science seeks money for studies. Global warming has made them bedfellows as it serves the purposes of both to create greater alarm than there needs to be.

Remember in 1975 many of these same scientists were warning of us the next ice age was coming. http://denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm

Computer models can not consistently predict weather accurately 24 hours in advance yet we are to believe it is easier to model the global climate and predict the weather 50 to 100 years from now. Sorry to say but one has to be quite gullible to swallow that one.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.