March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel, SKB, docbill, battle), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This thread was started just to give everyone here a "heads up" on a great article concerning a famous gun and the legendary author who it belonged to. Ed & Kensal called it. This thread has morphed into magazine critics & political activists.

G&G is a magazine designed to appeal to a broad audience, not just the gun crowd. The fact that it is a Southern publication , to me, makes it even more unique. I would venture that it's audience is, as a majority, that would never pick up a DGJ, SS or the American Rifleman. Just think, some of those folks might just change their minds about guns & shooting. With all the "anti-gun" folks around today I'm thankful for any help our side can get and from any quarter. They even have some great game receipts as well.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in agreement with the concept that any promotion of hunting and firearms is appreciated. If the overall format of the magazine doesn't appeal, it most likely isn't targeting you as a subscriber. The NRA will do fine. Maybe G and G will come around in time.

Would anybody want to own a firearm that had been used in a famous suicide; bad vibes or makes no difference?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bad vibes, definitely. But I can tell you about related "friendly" bad vibes. My parents lived in Cuba in the late 40's -early 50's. They used to see Papa a lot at one of the local bistros. My mother finaly decided to bother him and got him to autograph her first edition of OLD MAN & THE SEA. Years later, back in the states she lent the book to one of her friends, who never returned it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Garden and Gun is what it is. I bought my wife a sbscription after we returned from the Southern SxS this year. One of the photographers was at the event and photgraphed our dogs for the article on the Southern. They are the two pups, one Brittany and a solid brown GSP that are in the article.

She enjoys the magazine for what it is, a southern lifestyle magazine.

If you don't agree with their advertising policies or don't like the content, then don't subscribe to it. I see no need to bash the magazine that at least makes an attempt to highlight our guns and our sport in a positive light.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I apologize if I offended anyone and suppose I shouldn't have used the word fluff. The gun content to me seems superficial and since most of the folks on this board are more in depth concering guns, in fact this is the most knowledgeable group I know of anywhere, I assumed most of us wouldn't be interested in somewhat shallow articles about shotguns.

It is a very pretty magazine and one that looks really nice on the coffee table.

As to owning the gun Papa used to end his life, I feel it was a shame to cut the gun into pieces. I guess I'm so attached to the thought process that guns are just instruments wielded by men's hands, I can't understand the thought process.

No one respects the writing of Ernest Hemingway more than I. He was a great writer, on of the best of our lifetimes and I certainly know no one in his league today. Having said that, I wouldn't be uncomfortable shooting pheasants or clay targets with the gun he used to end his life.

I don't see the gun as evil and I don't even see the tragedy of the way he chose to end his life. Anyone who read his writing with any perception knew him well enough to not be surprised at his choice and that is exactly what his suicide was.

I'm sad he's gone, but I'm a writer, though in his league, and if I could do none of the things I enjoy and I didn't feel it would be too traumatic to those I love, I could certainly see ending my life as an option.

Papa had dementia, he could no longer function as he wanted to live life. My father died with dementia and I know the torture it is.

I respect his choice and the way I see it, the gun he used in a nice shotgun that Papa enjoyed. I think it's a shame it was cut up.

Just my opinion. I'm on vacation and have time to give opinions this week.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

As I said in an earlier post, I am a charter subscriber. I am going to give it a shot and see how the next year or two pans out. I'm sure they would appreciate an article from a real gun guy if you fellows are interested.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having read the definitive biographies by Carlos Baker (who named the gun---a Boss) and James R. Mellon (most poignant and descriptive of the end), I could take no pleasure from owning or using the instrument of EH's death.

True, the Boss of itself was not different from any other object. It's the spirit---or thought process, if you like---that concerns me. And the spirit is concerned with the significance that relates one object to another.

EH saw the totality of things, which only the eye of the spirit can see. As an old Samurai with failing body, he chose his Boss with tight choke he had used for years of pigeon shooting to bring his epic flight to an end.

Guns are more than just instruments wielded by men's hands, as tens of thousands of members' messages revealed to me here over the years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the writings of EH but he was a greatly flawed individual and the way he chose to end his life was selfish and thoughtless. There are many better ways of ending your life and they will not leave your survivors with more trauma than was called for.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RHD45
I like the writings of EH but he was a greatly flawed individual and the way he chose to end his life was selfish and thoughtless. There are many better ways of ending your life and they will not leave your survivors with more trauma than was called for.

You have to wonder why suicides run in families. Is it in the genetic make up or once one family member takes his life it seems a more acceptable solution. EH's granddaughter also took her own life on or near the anniversary of her grandfathers death.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PM
Originally Posted By: RHD45

You have to wonder why suicides run in families. Is it in the genetic make up or once one family member takes his life it seems a more acceptable solution. EH's granddaughter also took her own life on or near the anniversary of her grandfathers death.
His youngest son died shortly after being arrested and spending time in a woman's jail dressed like a woman. I believe I remember his oldest son saying once that the gun he commited suicide with was either a Beretta or a Model 21. I have it taped somewhere but it has been so long since I watched it, I can't remember what it was. They had a show on about Hemingway and had his oldest and youngest sons on it. I remember his oldest son was standing in the very spot where his father commited suicide and explaining how he had stuck the gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. I'll have to pull that out and watch it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.