May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (j7l2, eeb), 411 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,790
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I REMEMBER SEEING A BEAUTIFUL KUCHENREUTER FLINTLOCK
IN THE MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY IN NY CITY

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never encountered the phrase "cripple-stock" before. In relation to the Kuchenreuters gun, is it the pronounced cheek rest, which looks very "dish-like" in the second photos, that warrants the use of that phrase?

I think we've all seen the drastically bent stocks made for cross dominant eye situations (eg. R handed, L dom eye).
Would this suit the "cripple-stock" descriptive?

Or perhaps it has nothing to do with a stock shaped to better suit a shooter's particular need because of an infirmity, but rather strictly applied to a stock that is simply fashioned a certain way with NO relation to the shooter who will own the gun?

I'm quite curious and would be very grateful for an explanation of this term. Many Thanks - Marc

Last edited by Krakow Kid; 03/03/11 02:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Windycity
These guns are wonderful, historic, pieces of art. They represent the finest works of the world's earliest gunmakers. One can only imaging the time, skill and patience necessary to create such a gun. The intricacy of the carving, the engraving, and the tooling is spectacular. And, in this case, the research underway to determine this guns history will provide endless entertainment. Personally, I would say such a gun can be compared to the finest paintings from artists of that era such as Chardin or Monet. Each individual gun is a masterpiece.

I guess you see high quality work that eYe can't. crazy

Sidelock
Sidelock

From what the photos show, I'm not nearly as enthralled as I would be with other 19th century guns, specifically British "Bests".

The wood carvings shown in close-up look like novelty items, definitely "tarty". Not impressed with the metal engraving either.

As far as provenance goes, I think you should seriously think if Napoleon would really desire a google-eyed hound carved on one of his firearms.

After all you've said and shown, I still don't know if you are thinking of buying one of them, all of them or none of them.

I'm not trying to be a sarcastic cynic and deflate your high, but, like Joe, I just can't see the quality you take for granted.

Also, you've ruffled some of my feathers. Comparing this gun to a work by Monet is laughable if not contemptible.

Last edited by Krakow Kid; 03/03/11 05:40 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Rough crowd. I will continue my research. Will post the Kruchenreuter images soon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That knight appears to be a stamping. The engraving on the barrels is not well done at all. I have seen what the Belgian makers were capable of during this period. This gun is not even close.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Basically what you are saying is it's a JAUBC ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I apologize in advance for the lack of clarity with these images. It was the best I could manage given the lighting in the museum.

This is a Belgian flintlock from 1780-1790 as I recall.

These images are a Belgian pinfire that was dated to 1850.

Pete

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I appreciate the "education" I am getting here... tough as it is. This gun in question is part of a large collection and has been the most difficult to identify. My lack of expertise shows but I did not mean to offend anyone with my enthusiasm. I will continue to research that gun and will report back if I find useful information. As promised, here are images of the Kuchenrueter's - serial #1, #2.

The collection documents say "Delicate, restrained relief carving of the unblemished stocks – high gloss finish, horn capped fullstocks with matching rammers. Silver furniture is flawless and the fire-blued barrels are delicately inlayed with silver with the makers name and hallmarked with Kuchenreuter touch mark in gold. The unfired bbls are 10” and the pistols are 16 ˝ “ overall. A similar brace of Kuchenreuter pistols is in the collection of Her Majesty the Queen of Windsor Castle (lot specimens 379) and noted as examples #205 “Pistols of the World” by Claude Blair.”

I have thus far been unsuccessful confirming the above reference to Her Majesty the Queen collection and I have ordered “Pistol’s of the World.”

I will begin to research this gun as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The metal of the pistols has been re- polished, and the stocks refinished without a lot of TLC. They are of high original quality, and made about 1810 [bridled frizzens with roller springs along with semi-waterproof pans.] Are they rifled? The 2 leaf sights and set triggers would suggest this. Still a fine pair of pistols.

All the best, Mal

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.