April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hal M Hare, SKB, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 662 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#206060 10/17/10 12:08 PM
Gnomon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently examined several older H&H Royal SxSs with the view of possible purchase and noticed that H&H did not use bushed strikers nor do they have gas vents.

Do the newer guns have the bushed strikers?

Just a matter of curiosity.

I've noticed that guns where the barrels have been replaced (even by the makers) seem to fetch a lower price but it seems to me that newer barrels are an advantage or am I missing something?

Frank

Gnomon #206062 10/17/10 12:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gnomom

My early royal, circa 1890, has gas vents via scott patent No. 617/1882. I have never seen one with bushed strikers either but that does not mean there are none out there.

replaced barrels, even by the maker will always be looked at as a negative as far as dollar value. The gun is not looked at as "original" any longer and therefore brings a lower market value even when done by the maker themselves. It is usually worse when dealing with sleeved guns. I can't comment on Teague lined barrels as I have not seen too may of those up for sale.

You are right, in most cases new barrels would be looked at as an advantage if you are actually going to shoot the gun. if you are a collector, you would probably stay away from such a gun.

JMO

H&H

NOT A FAN OF PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is rather early (#14xxx), no bushed strikers but it does have gas vents. It also has barrels replaced by the maker which I look upon as an advantage but fortunately other interested buyers dissagreed so I maneged to get it for a digestable sum.
With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

My "later" style in the 16,700 range [1896-97] has neither bushed strikers or gas vents.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Major component replacement (by anyone) is viewed as high probablity the gun has had a lot of shooting, poor maintenance, and/or a major accident. Any of these cast doubt on the condition of the rest of the gun. High quality repair is expensive. So, the market is going to discount any gun with questions about it. Even if you have the gun carefully inspected and it gets a clean bill of health, you will have to discount your purchese price in anticipation of having to discount your selling price of it some day. This market position moves a lot of guns from collector pricing to shooter pricing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not believe H&H used bushed strikers on any of their Royals real old, real new, or in between.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gnomon:
Obsessed is correct. Bushed strikers are almost always Birmingham/Provincial work, done to obviate pits around the firing pin hole. H & H never does this as a matter of course. They will do anything the customer wants, however.

Bushed strikers do not effect a gun's performance and should not be held against a high-level "shooting gun." Same with replaced or sleeved barrels as long as the gun's balance has been maintained.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

I take it you refer to "disc set strikers" ?I dont think I have ever seen a Holland with them,at least not one made by them ,as to guns made for them may be a different matter . Gas vents went out of style when gas tight cases became the norm as they were no longer needed. I'm no sure weather Kensal is on the same track on this ,as a lot of top grade guns were made with disc set strikers . Although I have seen some of the repair type work he refers to . Done before the days of modern welding.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Gnomon:
Same with replaced or sleeved barrels as long as the gun's balance has been maintained.

Best, Kensal

Handling dimensions, weight, balance, unmounted swing effort, and mounted swing effort, are to handling as stock dimensions are to stock fit. One looks for a gun that has fit and handlind dimensions that suit the individual. A gun could be "ruined" by handling dimension changes resulting from sleeving/tubing/rebarreling for one person and dramatically improved for another. If the barrels were sleeved/tubed/rebarreled for reason of wear (think thin barrel walls), then it is sure that the original set of handling dimensions had already been altered. The handling desired after repair may or may not be as the gun was when new.

gunman #206225 10/18/10 03:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting about the lack of disc set strikers in the guns as the rifles do have them; e.g., my 1897 No 3 double in .303 British and 1904 Royal in .500/.450 nitroexpress.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.