May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ken Nelson, FelixD, JBG, David Williamson), 530 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,643
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've never had the slightest interest in loading BP shotshells and was looking out the window each time it has been discussed here. I have three damascus barreled guns and as of last Sunday I find myself in possession of several boxes of filler wads and overshot cards from the "Alcan" era. I looked over my old Lyman shotshell manual from 1969 but all data is for smokeless. Some questions: 1) Is this stuff usable for building a BP load? 2) Should I try black or one of the subs? 3) Better to use Federal paper hulls than plastic because of the melt/burnthru factor? 4) Can I use a fold crimp? 5) Given the absence of a petaled shotcup, is leading a problem with a volume use like skeet and does anyone use a sleeve around the shot to mitigate leading?

Really all I'm looking for right now is a 12 gauge, 7/8 or 1 oz. skeet load and of course a lot of smoke. Thought maybe Jim Legg or "Bladesmith" could help me out here?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't answer your question, but I have one of those metal shelving units which is almost completely filled with boxes of those Alcan (and Winchester) wads. I picked them up at an auction some years ago and have not yet figured out what to do with them.

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jack,
I usually load 60-65 grains of GOEX 3f with 7/8 oz. shot and
68-70 with 1 oz. Any primer(I use Winchesters) and on top of the OP wad, whatever amount of filler is necessary for a full shell. If you need exact thicknesses of wads, I can give you that later this evening. I like Federal Papers and usually only use them once. Got a fairly nice G grade Lefever with a very low comb. I'm going to try my hand at bending it.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 01/15/07 09:54 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use dram equalivent on modern loads as a tip on what I should load when using black power. You want to fill the hull to the top and if you are loading for an old girl look for chamber length. If anyone needs them I have a bunch of 11 bore wads by WW for 12 brass.
bill

Boxlock
Boxlock

Rabbit,

I load 12ga. 2 3/4 dram loads (75gr. of 2f Goex) and 1 oz. of 7.5 shot. It is a very effective load.

Your wads are very useable. I mainly use blackpowder 2f Goex but I have a friend who loads Pyrodex. I find in 12 ga hulls usually don't burn through but I usually shoot the hull once and toss it. However, your right paper would work better. I pick up plastic field hulls (high brass hulls) at my local trap range,I can always count on bring some home. Look for deer hunters sighting in their slug loads in to, great hulls too. I have 100 loaded and and easy 100 hulls ready to load.
I keep Rem, Win and Fed hulls in separate bags ready for loading. I used to use Win. Super speed but they don't roll crimp very well. Word of Warning-My 10 ga. however eats plastic hulls but I have the Republic Metallic Cartridge load 5 drams (135 gr. approx)and 1 1/8oz of #4 bismuth. that is alot of powder going off. I plan on duplicating the load with Rocky Mountain brass hulls.

As for fold crimp? You would have to play around with your load. I cut my hulls to 2.5" for my 75 grain load and then roll crimp them. I think it would be a pain to push the wads through the crimp. I prefer using 3 or 3.5" hulls and cut them down. This way I also get a perfectly round hull to load. The 2 3/4" inch hulls work but are kind of a pain as part of the crimp is left when I cut them down.

Leading will be a problem. I usually clean out the powder fouling with my garden hose and then use Hopppes or Rig 44.

Check out this website for blackpowder loading. Good info.

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg

Sorry this is long, I hope it answers questions. I really enjoy shooting blackpowde loads. I plan on having my LC Smith out for doves this September. Blackpowder bismuth loads out to really suprise some people!

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the tips. That's roughly the conversion I was getting from one of the BP sites: 1 dram=27 grains. I've got half a 5 gal. bucket of the Federals which may last as long as my devotion to the process (and the smoke). Good luck with cranking up the stock. Guess it has to take most of it between the ends of the tangs and the thumbhole; old wood, doesn't sound easy. Like to see pictures of your bending rig, Jim.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beginners should buy loaded Gamebore ammo.

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ya think? jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd start out with a few boxes of Gamebore BP, and see how you like 'em. They are not a powderpuff load, a big push - big white smoke - big stink too!
Think Taco Bell drive-thru, and cold beer after midnite, ole Rabbit.

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 01/16/07 08:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One notes that Rabbit is a beginner to neither shooting or reloading, only specifically to BP shotshell reloading. He will remain so, as did all of us, until he actually starts. My first experience at BP "Reloading" was with a ramrod & a 12ga ML'er. When I decided I wanted some BP shotshells, I felt no need at all to "Buy Factory", as I too was already loading smokeless. My advise Jack, "Try It, You'll Like It".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.