March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jtplumb, JDH, craigd, JayCee, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 347 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Can you use high brass shells, in an old Ithaca NID made in 1927. I had read somewhere, that the Ithaca, was made pretty stout, at that time. Or would it have to much pressure, for the old barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't do it....the NID was as cheaply made as possible.

That doesn't equal stout in my oppinion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The NID was purposely introduced to handle SAAMI spec ammunition, something the earlier Flues was marginal for. On the other hand, no one can tell you over the internet what ammo is safe in what gun. Only a qualified double gun smith, with the gun in hand, can do that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the other hand a qualified gunsmith can't even tell you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Price does not necessarily relate to Stoutness. An NID will undoubtably stand up to a lot more heavy loads than would a
Purdey Game Gun. Compared prices on the pair lately??

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe is confused, again. The Western Arms Long Range of the same era, produced by the same company, was cheaply made, much more so than the NID. Cheap, in this case, doesn't mean not able to handle modern ammunition, however. As Miller pointed out, the NID, and, in fact, either of the Ithaca guns will handle a steady diet of SAAMI spec ammunition better than English guns costing, shall we say, a bit more.
You can call the Ithaca ugly, but, many of them are out there still doing what they were intended to do, handling modern ammunition loaded to pressure levels outside the scope of operation of the Flues, without second thought by their owners.
My first concern on a NID would be the wood. If it were mine, a high brass load would be a very occasional thing, launched at a pheasant with his late season afterburner engaged. Do have a good double gun 'smith go through the thing, but, more than likely, there simply won't be any surprises.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe: Nobody's addressed the other half of your question ... "high brass" shells. That's a term most often used to suggest a heavier-than-average load with presumably higher pressures. The term is also falling out of favor because there is no longer a real correlation between the height of the brass and the make up or performance of the load. The bottom line is that there are all kinds of "low brass" shells that can quickly beat up a fragile antique gun, and we need to look more carefully into the properties of our ammo choices. The good news for you is that few would describe a typical NID as fragile. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

My 1925 Scott is holding pretty good to steady diet of factory ammo.....give a NID a steady diet of 2&3/4" high powered pheasant and turkey loads and get back with me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

People have done just that for 85 years, jOe.

Where' ya been?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

More loose Scotts than NID's out there. NID aint no sissy gun, its a tough mo-fo, built like a tank with that mid 20's & 30's gangster style. Looks at home either sitting next to a brace of birds or sitting next to a tiffany lamp.

Dustin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.