April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (AZMike, PALUNC, David Williamson, MattH, 1 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
I suspect that our use of a gun, here in the states, does not always dovetail so neatly with what has been termed as "Best" in English guns. We tend to be, here in the states, what the English would call "rough shooters", hunting all day, with many miles of walking, for occasional birds put up over flushing or pointing dogs. It would not be unusual to take a spill with an uncased gun for us. A British best gun was developed for a pretty narrow shooting focus, that being driven birds over a peg, typically. You walk to the peg, with the gun cased, by the way, shoot from your peg assigment, case your gun, and walk back.
My point is, you may need to reconcile your own use of a gun (you plan on using it, right?) against what is typical in features of a British Best gun. Pheasants driven straight at you are a hell of a lot easier to kill than the same birds fleeing straight away, and a gun set up originally for a 1 1/4 oz load might be more suited to your
use. Those in-proof at .021 thickness barrels sure swing nice, but, they don't take all that well to a fall after you trip over a hidden barbed wire fence, or the dog knocking them down as the gun is resting against a tree as you relieve yourself.
It's one thing to say you have a Best gun, it is surprisingly different to have a gun best suited for your use of it. Give the whole idea a bit of thought, and take others opinions of what constitutes "Best" with a grain of salt-they aren't paying for it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

Your posts tend to be an interesting blend of information and opinion, if on occasion a little cranky...but the response on what's "best" for an American hunter/shooter is your blend at its most flavorful.

Bravo...nice post.

JP

Sidelock
Sidelock

JP,
Hey, thanks-but, I still learn everything the hard way, just trying to save people some of the steps...

B est,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted knows his mind, but not much more....

Hahaha

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jeremy Pearce
Ted,

Your posts tend to be an interesting blend of information and opinion, if on occasion a little cranky...but the response on what's "best" for an American hunter/shooter is your blend at its most flavorful.

Bravo...nice post.

JP

Agreed (I even got missed grin)...back to the barrels nothing wrong with replacement or properly sleeved barrels as a shooter. I was just looking at it from a price point.

The receiver also looks polished....if it's a gun you are content on living with for a long time I'd go for it...but should you for some reason decide it just isn't the gun for you then I'd expect to see you take a big hit if you tried to resell it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Ted knows his mind, but not much more....

Hahaha

OWD

I know that to avoid the quibbling you complained about in your blog with the dealer who had the 4 bore punt gun, you simply have Mr. Dealer send the gun to a reputable gunsmith for the inspection period.
You apparently don't know that.
Sucks to be you.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Take it easy you know how sensitive Ted is blush

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

You know, I regretted that post and I thought I deleted it. I was having a mean moment and I was a bit ashamed of myself.

The point of my blog post about the 4 bore was that the dealer wouldn't honor a standard 3-day inspection/return period.

Once my guy had the gun (and it was going right to my 'smith), it was mine--regardless of what my 'smith found. The dealer wasn't going to refund my money, so all the risk was on me.

The two posts are the actual discussions I had with the dealer-verbatim. Guys can read it for themselves here:

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/

Scroll down for parts one and two. Try not to faint when you see the Hartmann & Weiss O/U.

I'm 99% sure the 4b was good and probably worth $5000. But I'm not a rich guy, so I can't afford the 1% risk.

Buy low, sell high is how you get ahead. The the other way doesn't work so well.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD,
What you encountered, without actually coming up with it, was NOT a gun "Dealer". He was actually actually a "Farmer". Please bear with me.

He was not farming crops, per say, in this case. He was farming you. All the hand wringing and blogging in the world can't change what was, in this case, his efforts to stick you with a lemon. If it were anything but a wallhanger, why would there be all the questions, and, diarrhea of the mouth, from his end, on an industry standard inspection period?

You avoided getting skinned-pretty much by luck, it seems.

As to the Hartmann gun, I have but one, I think, simple question-we put a man on the moon in less than eight years. What were these clowns doing for all that time?

I suspect, but, can't prove from here, there was a bit more "Farming" involved.

Rest assured, I faint over no guns, especially 28 gauge guns. If I want art, I can go to a museum, and, usually, I walk out scratching my head from there, too. Looking at that gun, and scratching my head, I was reminded of a line from the movie "To Die For" where the sister-in-law was describing the rings, custom designed for her brother and his murderous wife-"They were gold, and they were round-big, F-ing deal".

So, big, F-ing deal-Hartmann and Weiss got some idiot to pay them for 8 years for an implement. Faint away, OWD. But, keep in mind, it's tough to buy low and sell high once you have fainted.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted-

Thanks for confirming what I already knew.

BTW: Envy is ugly.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.