May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (KY Jon, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 287 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,503
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MBSR Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

OK, which do you prefer, Single or Double trigger and why? I am in the market for a new S/S and cannot decide.

Last edited by MBSR; 09/13/10 07:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have both, but probably do my best shooting with ST as it is more like O/U clay target guns I shoot more frequently.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot both, and have zero problems switching back and forth. I don't know why that is. I grew up shooting a double trigger S x S, but shoot single trigger guns exclusively in competition, over and unders and side by sides. I really don't have a favorite between single and double triggers. My double guns with single triggers are 100% reliable, or I wouldn't have them. I have no tolerance for a mechanism that fails me from time to time, however seldom it may be.

If you decide on a single trigger, make certain you do the homework to determine if that particular gun has any reliability issues with the trigger. Contrary to what some may tell you, there ARE single triggers that are just as reliable as double triggers.

What is has been your past concerning triggers? Have you shot double triggers much? If not, be determined to do the requisite practice to get to the point that double triggers are "second nature" to you. I do not know how much shooting that would take for someone who grew up shooting a single trigger gun. Maybe quite a bit.

One last thing I would offer. If the single trigger gun is not barrel selectable, either get it choked the same in both barrels or leave it alone. There is no way to predict whether you will need the open, or the tight choked barrel, first. This is my experience, MBSR.

Best wishes, Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are two kinds of shotgun shooters in the world. Those who have had trouble with a single trigger, and those who are going to.
I much prefer double triggers. Much more reliable, and, even if one trigger acts up, you still have a gun to use on a long trip. Have a single O/U with a non-selectable single inertia trigger, and it got unreliable when a soft recoil pad was added. Been pretty reliable since the pad got old and hard, saving the time the lube froze up.
Learn to use the double triggers, and forever wonder why a single trigger was ever invented-it is an answer to a question that was never asked.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, Ted, I guess you can count me in the group that "are going to", as you predict. I shoot two MX-8's, old guns, and have had two S x S Brownings, and have a 687 SP II Beretta 20 gauge. Between them all, tens of thousands of rounds have been put through them by me, right at ten thousand through the 687 alone. I have never, repeat, NEVER had a trigger failure with a single one of these guns. 100% reliability over roughly twenty years. I respectfully disagree with your statement.

I stand by my earlier caveat. Do your homework and buy one that has a history of reliability. Buy without it and you take your chances.

Stan

Sidelock
Sidelock

MBSR:
As has been suggested, it is the MAKER and DESIGN of a single trigger that makes it reliable -- or not. The issue then becomes: what brand of SxS are you considering? If not English or the best Italian, then I'd personally opt for the double trigger. Absolutely reliable. Absolutely selectable. And absolutely as fast as a single with a bit of practice. In my humble experience, there is no comparison. But suit yourself.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it has two barrels it needs two triggers. I suppose single triggers are fine if all you are going to do is shoot clays but for hunting, double triggers are the only way to go. It does not matter how reliable the single trigger is, you can not make any selection as to which barrel you wish to fire after you have mounted the gun.

Last edited by Tyler; 09/13/10 09:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Completely agree with KR that double triggers are totally reliable, more readily selectable and absolutely as fast as a single. I love them, but I refuse to defame all single triggers as being unreliable, as some do. I would really like to try a 687 SP 20 ga. with double triggers for doves. I believe I'd love it.

Stan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Single trigger for clays but always a double trigger feathered game.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 09/13/10 10:38 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

For guns with two different chokes then most single triggers are not that easy to change from one barrel to the other so the two triggers tend to be more reliable for most. Some people have a problem dealing with two triggers. For them a single is best. Or to paraphrase what my father use to say some people can not walk, chew gum, mount a gun and select a trigger, the single trigger is best. For them the auto was made. Bang, Bang, Bang as they say.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.