April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, ClapperZapper, Lawrence Kotchek, Mark Larson, graybeardtmm3, LeFusil), 1,022 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#201964 09/06/10 05:21 PM
LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a Blissett .50 caliber muzzleloading single barrel rifle in about untouched original condition. It has beautiful engraving on it, but there are some small "orange spots" on the engraving. I don't know if it is old oil or a very light rust. What is the proper way to clean this up or should I leave it alone? I don't want to hurt the value of it. An old gun dealer friend (Wayne Eikenberry) told me a long time ago that he used 4/0 steel with gun oil on it to carefully go over the engraving to clean it up. Should I try this?

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would contact Barry Hands or Ken Hurst. They should be able to provide an expert opinion and advise the best action to take.

http://www.barryleehands.com/
http://www.singleshotrifles.com/kenhurst.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

LD1, in the condition you describe I strongly urge you not to attempt any "cleaning" yourself! Contact the gentlemen above and ask for help. This is no time for experimentation. Please!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a better picture of the patch box cover. The rifle is cased in it's original oak case with a full complement of original accessories incuding a spare fully engraved hammer and belted conical bullet mould. The rifle also has a set trigger. I am very apprehensive about doing any work on it, but I don't want it to deteriorate either. I will contact knowledgeable people before I proceed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

gun engraver bill mains told me while working on my beretta 687 EELL to use a green scotch bright pad rubbing lightly. seems to work well. just another idea from an old colt factory engraver. jeff

N Central PA
NRA Endowment
Sidelock
Sidelock

LD1:
The core question at hand is: Will any cleanup degrade the value and time honoured patina of the gun?

If the answer to that is "no," then 0000 steel wool moistened (not soppy!) with a bit of Hoppe's will do the trick without damaging the engraving. Keep a paper towel handy to restrain any excess that may damage the wood.

Best, Kensal

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

if it was case hardened that might just be old varnish i cant tell from the pic, but use oil and scotch bright and go lightly (you might need oooo steel wool)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentle application of bronze wool and/or a brass toothbrush, moistened with a bit of Hoppe's No. 9, should give good results without damaging any remaining finish or patina.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

REmove from the wood and boil in a little whashing soda,rinse thoroughly ,this will clean of dirt and any varnish so you can see whats underneath .You may be suprised .I did this recently to an old action I thought was past hope only to fined 50% original colour under all the crap and dried oil.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can remove the item from the wood, I would boil in dishwasher liquid/powder and tap waterfor 5 minutes, then rinse well and dry thoroughly with gentle heat and/or compressed air. This will remove all the old oil and grease but not touch any colour hardening etc. If there is surface rust this will become very apparent after this treatment and you can decide how to proceed depending on the presence of any hardening colour. Obviously re-oil afterwards to preserve the finish.
I would strongly advice against using scotchbrite, the US version may be different from ours but my experience is that it strips blacking and browning a treat so I guess it will do the same for the hardening colour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.